If you aren’t regularly connected to Wi-Fi, you may be looking for a cell phone plan that includes a high allotment of mobile hotspot data.
I’ve researched more than 70 unlimited hotpsot phone plans to find the absolute best hotspot plans at the best prices and features. In this article, I’ll share my top picks for the best hotspot plans.
- 35GB data cap before reduced speeds
- Prepay three months in advance when you sign up.
- Although the contract changes, the plan price stays the same after three months.
- Unlimited calls, text and data with max 8Mbps speeds
- One of the cheapest prices for four lines ($25/line monthly)
- Use a referral code to get your first month for $5, and join a Visible Party to get each additional month for $25
Choosing the Best Hotspot Plan
When it comes to choosing the best cell phone plan for you, the amount of hotspot data included is a big factor to consider. If you don’t have a stable connection to Wi-Fi, you may sometimes need to turn your phone into a hotspot so that you can share your data with other devices.
While it’s nearly impossible to find a completely unlimited high-speed hotspot plan, several providers offer a high allotment of high-speed hotspot data, an unlimited amount at slowed speeds and data-only plans.
Some service providers, such as T-Mobile and Xfinity, advertise free Wi-Fi hotspot locations throughout the country if you already have service with them, but know that you’ll have to be in specific locations to access the free hotspots. If you need hotspot data wherever you are via your phone, these are great plans to consider.
Below, you’ll find my top picks for the best hotspot plans:
- The Best Cheap Hotspot Plans
- Best Hotspot Plans from Major Carriers
- The Best Prepaid Hotspot Plans
- The Best Data-Only Hotspot Plans
The Best Cheap Hotspot Plans
If you’re looking for the cheapest way to add a little bit of hotspot data to your phone plan, there are options beginning as low as $30 per month. For this price, you can get 5GB of hotspot data per line with Mint Unlimited.
For $39 per month, you can get significantly more hotspot data with Tello. With this plan, you can use 35GB of high-speed hotspot data monthly. If you’re looking for truly unlimited hotspot data, Visible’s plan costs $40 per month and includes unlimited hotspot at speeds up to 5Mbps.
Here are my top picks for the best cheap hotspot plans. Below, you’ll also find additional cheap hotspot plans worth considering from Total Wireless, Boost Mobile and more.
- Tello Mobile Data: Best Overall Hotspot Plan
- Mint Unlimited: Cheapest Prepaid Hotspot Plan
- Visible: Cheapest Unlimited Hotspot Plan
Best Overall Cheap Hotspot Plan
|Tello Mobile Data|
|Price||$29/month (plus taxes)|
|Talk and Text||Unlimited|
|Data Cap Overage||Speeds will be slowed to 2G after 25GB.|
Tello offers one of the cheapest phone plans you’ll find overall, but it also offers one of the best cheap hotspot data plans. With Tello, you can get unlimited calls, texts and data for $39 per month. The plan includes 25GB of high-speed data and unlimited data at slower speeds after 25GB that you can share via mobile hotspot.
If you’re thinking about switching to Tello, consider bringing your own phone with you to save even more money. You can check your phone’s eligibility online. Be sure to also read our full review of Tello before switching.
Cheapest Prepaid Hotspot Plan
|Price||$30/month (plus taxes & fees)|
|Talk and Text||Unlimited|
|Data Cap Overage||Slower speeds after 35GB|
If you’re looking for the cheapest prepaid hotspot plan, it’s hard to beat Mint Mobile. The T-Mobile MVNO offers Mint Unlimited which includes unlimited talk, text and data for $30 monthly plus taxes and fees. It only includes 5GB of high-speed hotspot data, but if this is enough for you, the price is hard to beat. Mint Unlimited also includes 35GB of high-speed mobile data. After 35GB, speeds reduce, but you can still continue using unlimited data. Like all Mint Mobile plans, you will have to prepay for three months at a time, which makes this plan $90 total at the time of purchase.
You can also bring your own phone to Mint Mobile to save money instead of buying a new one. To see if your phone is compatible, visit Mint’s website before switching. You can learn more about Mint Mobile in our full review.
Cheapest Unlimited Hotspot Plan
|Price||$30/month (taxes & fees included)|
|Talk and Text||Unlimited|
|Data Cap Overage||None, but speeds may slow during congestion.|
If you’re looking for a cheap, completely unlimited hotspot plan, Visible is hard to pass up. However, you won’t have access to high-speed hotspot data. Visible’s plan includes unlimited talk, text and 5G mobile data for $30 per month. Visible includes unlimited hotspot data with max speeds of 5Mbps. While it isn’t high-speed hotspot data, it is truly unlimited.
You may also be able to bring your own phone to Visible and save even more. To see if yours is compatible, visit Visible’s website. Also, be sure to check out our full Visible review for more information before switching.
Other Cheap Hotspot Plans To Consider:
- Total Wireless (Review) offers 10GB of high-speed hotspot data per line for $45 per month.
- Spectrum Mobile (Review) offers 30GB of high-speed hotspot data for $55 per month.
- Boost Unlimited (Review) offers 30GB of high-speed mobile data that can be shared via hotspot for $60 per month. If you’re willing to commit for 12 months, you can get 35GB of high-speed data per month for $300 upfront with one of Boost Mobile’s new “carrier crusher” plans. That works out to be $25 per month before taxes and fees.
- T-Mobile Essentials offers unlimited hotspot at 3G speeds for $60 per month.
- Consumer Cellular (Review) offers an unlimited plan with 35GB of high-speed data (including hotspot) for $60 per month.
Best Hotspot Plans From Major Carriers
If you’re looking for a bit more high-speed hotspot data, shopping for a phone plan from a major provider may be the best option for you. These plans include 30-50GB of high-speed hotspot data each month before reduced speeds, but you can also expect a higher monthly price. Each of these providers also offers data-only plans for cheaper monthly prices, but these plans don’t include any additional mobile data, minutes or texting.
Here are my top picks for the best hotspot plans from major carriers. In each section, I’ve also included information on each provider’s data-only plans.
- T-Mobile Magenta Max: Best T-Mobile Hotspot Plan
- AT&T Unlimited Premium: Best AT&T Hotspot Plan
- Verizon Do More: Best Verizon Hotspot Plan
T-Mobile Magenta Max
Best T-Mobile Hotspot Plan
|T-Mobile Magenta Max|
|Price||$85/month (taxes & fees included; autopay required to get best rate)|
|Talk and Text||Unlimited|
|Hotspot Data||40GB high-speed data|
|Data Cap Overage||Unlimited|
If you’re looking for a large amount of high-speed hotspot data from a major carrier, T-Mobile’s Magenta Max is worth looking into. This plan offers 40GB of 4G LTE mobile hotspot data along with completely unlimited mobile data with high-speed access that never slows. For $85 per month for one line, it includes unlimited talk, text and 5G data. It also includes a basic Netflix subscription.
Other plans from T-Mobile begin as low as $60 per month for the Essentials plan, which includes unlimited hotspot at 3G speeds, unlimited talk, text and mobile data with reduced speeds after 50GB. Data-only plans from T-Mobile begin at 5GB for $20 and range through 50GB for $50. Of course, these plans do not include mobile data, talk or text.
You may also be able to bring your own phone instead of buying a new one. Before you switch to T-Mobile, be sure to check your phone’s eligibility online.
AT&T Unlimited Premium
Best AT&T Hotspot Plan
|AT&T Unlimited Premium|
|Price||$85/month per line (plus taxes & fees)|
|Talk and Text||Unlimited|
|Hotspot Data||50GB high-speed data|
|Data Cap Overage||Unlimited with no slowdown|
AT&T offers a few different unlimited data plans, but the only one that’s truly unlimited with no data cap/slowed speeds is the Unlimited Premium plan. This is also the best hotspot plan from AT&T with 50GB of high-speed hotspot data. For $85 per month for one line, AT&T offers unlimited talk, text and high-speed data that never slows based on usage. This plan includes a six-month subscription to Stadia Pro.
For a cheaper AT&T hotspot plan, consider Unlimited Extra for $75 per month for one line with 15GB of hotspot data and 50GB of high-speed mobile data. AT&T also offers data-only plans that can be used as mobile hotspot data including $50 for 25GB and $75 for 40GB. These plans don’t include any additional mobile data, talk or text.
Before you switch to an AT&T plan, be sure to check your phone’s compatibility to see if you can bring it with you to save even more money.
Verizon Do More Unlimited
Best Verizon Hotspot Plan
|Verizon Do More|
|Price||$80/month (plus taxes & fees; autopay required to get the best rate)|
|Talk and Text||Unlimited|
|Hotspot Data||Unlimited; 15GB high-speed data|
|Data Cap Overage||50GB|
Verizon offers a few different “mix & match” unlimited plans including Do More. This plan costs $80 per month for one line (with discounts) and includes unlimited talk, text and data. Unlike T-Mobile and AT&T, the speeds reduce after 50GB of premium data use. Still, this plan does include 15GB of high-speed mobile hotspot data followed by unlimited hotspot data at 600Kbps speeds. Additionally, it comes with six-month subscriptions to Apple Music, Disney+, discovery+, Apple Arcade and Google Play Pass.
Data-only plans from Verizon include 6GB for $35, 16GB for $45 and 30GB for $65 per month when you enroll in auto pay. Of course, these plans do not include any mobile data, talk or text.
If you’re thinking about switching to Verizon, you may be able to bring your own phone for additional savings. Simply check your phone’s compatibility online before switching.
The Best Prepaid Hotspot Plans
Prepaid plans are another great option to consider. With a prepaid phone plan, you won’t need a credit check and you’ll pay only for what you use. Still, you can find prepaid phone plans that offer a significant amount of high-speed hotspot data. You can choose a hotspot plan from a prepaid MVNO or a prepaid data plan from a major carrier.
Here are my top picks for the best prepaid hotspot plans:
|Mint Unlimited||T-Mobile Simply Prepaid||Boost Unlimited $60|
|Mint Unlimited||T-Mobile Simply Prepaid||Boost Unlimited|
|Price||$30/month (plus taxes & fees)||$50/month (plus taxes & fees)||$60 (taxes & fees included)|
|Talk and Text||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Network||T-Mobile||T-Mobile||T-Mobile and AT&T|
|Hotspot Data||5GB||Unlimited at 3G speeds||30GB|
|Data Cap Overage||Slower speeds after 35GB||50GB||Speeds reduced to 2G after 35GB|
The Best Prepaid Hotspot Plans:
- Mint Unlimited (Review) is a phone plan that allows you to prepay for the first three months of service and then prepay for annual service to keep the same low price. This plan includes unlimited talk, text and data as well as 5GB of mobile hotspot for $30 per month. After 35GB of premium mobile data, speeds will reduce.
- T-Mobile Simply Prepaid offers unlimited talk, text and data for $50 per month with unlimited hotspot at 3G speeds. After you’ve reached 50GB of high-speed mobile data, speeds will be reduced.
- Boost Unlimited (Review) is another prepaid option that offers unlimited talk and text plus 30GB of high-speed hotspot data before reduced speeds for $60 per month.
Other Prepaid Hotspot Plans To Consider:
- Visible (Review) is the absolute cheapest unlimited hotspot plan available. The standard plan costs $30 per month per line, and it includes unlimited talk, text, mobile data and mobile hotspot. However, mobile hotspot download speeds are limited to 5 Mbps.
- Boost Unlimited Annual (Review) is a great prepaid hotspot plan to consider if you’re willing to commit to the phone service for a full year. This plan costs $300 for 12 months ($25 per month plus taxes and fees) and includes unlimited talk, text and 35GB of high-speed data that can be shared via mobile hotspot. It runs on AT&T’s network.
- AT&T Prepaid offers 15GB of high-speed data (but not 5G) for $40 per month that can be shared via mobile hotspot.
- Total Wireless (Review) offers 10GB of mobile hotspot data plus unlimited talk, text and 25GB of high-speed data before reduced speeds for $45 per month.
The Best Data-Only Hotspot Plans
If you just need hotspot data but don’t need talk, text or mobile data, there are a few data-only hotspot plans worth considering. These plans range from 1-100GB of monthly mobile hotspot data, which means you may be able to use your smartphone as a hotspot without purchasing a separate hotspot device. Be sure to check device compatibility online before purchasing a plan.
Keep in mind that data-only hotspot plans aren’t an affordable replacement for home internet; you’ll likely find a better overall price with Wi-Fi depending on how often you use the internet at home. If you already have a phone plan, you may be able to access free hotspot locations, like libraries and coffee shops, throughout the country.
If you are looking for hotspot data that you can share from your own device, these data-only plans are worth considering:
|Tello Mobile||Verizon Plus||AT&T Prepaid|
|Price||$10 per month||$40 per month||$55 per month|
The Best Data-Only Hotspot Plans:
- Tello Mobile (Review) offers a data-only plan beginning at $10 per month for 1GB of mobile hotspot data. If you’re looking for the cheapest option available, Tello Mobile is worth considering.
- Verizon Plus offers 50GB of mobile hotspot data for $40 per month. This is a great price for a significant amount of hotspot data.
- AT&T Prepaid offers one of the highest allotments of mobile hotspot data at 100GB for $55 per month. If you need a large amount of hotspot data, this is a great prepaid data-only plan worth considering.
Other Data-Only Hotspot Plans To Consider:
- Cricket Wireless (Review) offers 20GB of hotspot data for $35 per month.
- Metro by T-Mobile (Review) offers 30GB of hotspot data for $40 per month.
- Verizon Premium Hotspot Plan offers 150GB of premium mobile hotspot data then unlimited lower-speed data for $110 as a standalone plan. Verizon customers with a smartphone on an eligible unlimited plan can add the Premium Hotspot plan for $80 per month.
Team Clark’s Methodology
For the purposes of this review, Team Clark determined that the top things customers care about when it comes to hotspot plans are price, network reliability/coverage, hotspot data allotment and overall satisfaction.
Various staff members tried out each of these popular cell phone providers to get a feel for their reliability and service. We have linked to Clark.com’s individual reviews of those providers.
I researched more than 70 phone plans at the time of writing and analyzed the following characteristics when determining the “best” options for each category:
- Network reliability
- Network coverage
- Monthly data allotments
- Monthly data hotspot allotments and speeds
- “Bring your own device” availability
- Deals and discounts (loyalty, autopay, additional lines, etc.)
- Online reviews from real customers
If you’re looking for a cell phone plan with hotspot data, you can find plans as cheap as $30 per month. For this price, you can get 5GB of hotspot data per line with Mint Unlimited, which is a prepaid phone plan. For $39 per month, you can use 35GB of high-speed hotspot data with Tello. At $30 per month, Visible is another excellent option that offers truly unlimited hotspot data with a max speed of 5Mbps.
Phone plans from major carriers will give you a higher allotment of hotspot data, but they also come with a higher price. T-Mobile Magenta Max is one of the best at $85 per month with 40GB of high-speed hotspot. However, AT&T Unlimited Premium has recently raised its hotspot allotment to 50GB, which makes it a slightly better deal for the same price. Verizon’s Do More Unlimited plan includes 15GB of high-speed hotspot data followed by unlimited at 600Kbps speeds.
Prepaid plans and data-only plans are also great options to consider when hotspot is your biggest priority. For these plans, check out Mint Mobile, Boost Mobile, Total Wireless, Cricket Wireless and Metro by T-Mobile for the best deals.
Keep in mind that data-only hotspot plans aren’t an affordable replacement for home internet; you’ll likely find a better overall price with Wi-Fi depending on how often you use the internet at home. Also, some service providers like T-Mobile and Xfinity advertise free hotspot locations throughout the country if you already have service with them, but know that you’ll have to be in specific locations to access the free hotspot.