Review Summary: The Sam’s Club® Mastercard® offers a very high rate of cash back on gas, but much less so at Sam’s Club and for most other purchases.
How the Sam’s Club® Mastercard®credit card works
The Sam’s Club Mastercard has no annual fee with your paid Sam’s Club membership and can double as your membership card. This card can be used at Sam’s Club and anywhere else that accepts Mastercard. You earn cash back on your purchases, which automatically gets loaded to your membership account.
Sam’s Club Mastercard review: Table of contents
How to earn rewards
With this card, you earn 5% cash back on your first $6,000 of gas purchased at U.S. gas stations. You also earn 3% cash back on all travel and dining purchases, and 1% cash back at Sam’s Club and on all other purchases. Just note that you can only earn a maximum of $5,000 in cash back rewards each year.
How to redeem rewards
Cash back is automatically loaded to your membership account each February. Checks are no longer issued. There are several ways to redeem your rewards:
- Use in-club at any register until the rewards expire or are fully redeemed
- Use to renew or upgrade your Sam’s Club membership
- Use cash back to pay toward your credit card balance
- Get cash back at a staffed register
Additional cardholder benefits
- Access to $100 in cash at Sam’s Club or Walmart: These cash advances are treated like purchases, so you can avoid interest by paying your statement balance in full.
- Doubles as a membership card: One less card to carry in your wallet.
- Extended warranty: Adds up to a year to your manufacturer’s warranty.
- Purchase protection: Covers your purchases against theft or accidental damage for 90 days.
Alternatives to the Sam’s Club Mastercard
- Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi: This card offers you 4% cash back on gas, 3% on travel and dining, 2% at Costco stores and 1% elsewhere. Like the Sam’s Club Mastercard, you receive your rewards once a year as a certificate that you can only redeem in store. There’s no annual fee for this card with your paid Costco membership.
- Citi® Double Cash: This card offers up to 2% cash back on all purchases, with no annual fee. On the other hand, it has no sign-up bonus, lacks premium travel benefits and has a 3% foreign transaction fee.
Clark Howard is a huge fan of warehouse stores like Sam’s Club, and this card could be a valuable way to earn cash back there. But it seems odd that it only offers you 1% cash back at Sam’s Club itself. However, the 5% cash back on gas and the 3% cash back on travel and dining are enough to make this one of our best rewards credit cards.