With data breaches so prevalent, many consumers have had to familiarize themselves with the three major credit bureaus to freeze their credit. While many have done so online, some prefer to speak to a live person.
In this article, I’m going to share with you the steps you need to take to reach a live person at Experian, TransUnion and Equifax.
How to Reach a Human at Experian, TransUnion and Equifax
Note: Call wait times may be longer if you make your call during peak hours. Try to call earlier in the day.
- Experian phone number: Experian’s official customer service number is: 1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742). But I called 1-714-830-7000 to talk to a human.
- How to reach a real person: Bypass the consumer line and call the business or client line. Press 2.
- Total wait time: Less than 2 minutes
Details on how to reach a live person at Experian: The thing to know about Experian is that the company wants consumers to enter a lot of personal information to get connected to a human.
You’ll be greeted by an automated voice that says, “If you are a consumer and would like assistance with your personal credit report, press 1. If you are a business or client of Experian press 2.” Here’s what to do:
- Press 2: You’ll be forwarded to a live person in about a minute or less (except during peak times).
If you press 1, you’ll continue to deal with an automated voice, which will ask you to enter your Social Security number, home address and more. Even after all that, you’ll be prompted to go online or to make contact via snail mail.
After calling multiple times and pressing 1, I never found a way to reach a human. By pressing 2, I was connected to a live person in less than 2 minutes each time.
When to call: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday-Friday CT.
- TransUnion phone number: The official customer care number for TransUnion is 1-800-916-8800, and that’s the number I called to get to a real person.
- How to reach a real person: Answer the voice prompt or Press 0 if asked to enter a number.
- Total wait time: Less than 1 minute
Details on how to reach a live person at TransUnion: To speak to a human at TransUnion, I had to speak to an automated voice first. I was prompted to state the reason for my call and I said, “dispute.” After that, I was connected to a real person.
- Equifax Phone number: While Equifax’s official customer service phone number is 1-800-846-5279, I found the easiest path to reaching a real human by calling this number: 1-866-640-2273.
- How to reach a real person: Press 1, then Press 4.
- Total wait time: 8 minutes.
Details on how to reach a live person at Equifax: Equifax has changed its menu options so the process of reaching a human may be a bit longer now.
The call will start with some introductory promotions then an automated voice will say “For English, press 1, for Spanish, press 2.”
You’ll hear a menu with five options. You’ll be prompted to:
- Press 1 to speak to an automated voice about changing or disputing your Equifax credit report, placing or removing a security freeze or information regarding your free credit report
- Press 2 for login help
- Press 3 to cancel a product
- Press 4 to speak to a product specialist
- Press 5 if you’re having trouble enrolling for a product
If you don’t press anything, it may connect you to a real person in a few seconds. If not, here’s what to do:
- Press 4: You’ll be forwarded to an agent shortly.
After calling multiple times, pressing 4 was the quickest way I reached a human. I also reached a live person by pressing 1, but it took longer.
You may also get the following option: “If you’d like to receive a callback rather than wait on hold, press 1 now. You will not lose your place in line.”
When to call: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET Saturday & Sunday.
Now that we’ve gone over how to reach a live person at the three major credit bureaus, let’s review:
Recap: Quick Ways to Reach a Real Person at the Credit Bureaus
|Credit Bureau||Phone Number||Operating Hours|
|Experian||1-714-830-7000||10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mon-Fri CT|
|TransUnion||1-800-916-8800||8 a.m. to midnight ET, Mon-Thu; 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET Fri-Sun|
|Equifax||1-866-640-2273||9 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET Mon-Fri; 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sat & Sun ET|
Reaching real, live help at the credit bureaus can be a pain, but it pays to be persistent.
Have you had success reaching customer service representatives by calling other numbers? If so, let us know in the comments!