If you’re tired of paying too much for cell phone service, there are several options for seniors to switch to a cheaper provider without sacrificing service.
In fact, some wireless providers like T-Mobile offer affordable plans specifically for people who are 55 and older.
Cell Phone Plans Designed for Seniors
There are many benefits to senior cell phone options, including lower-priced unlimited plans, better customer service and easy-to-use technology.
While great age-specific deals exist, there are cheaper options. If you’re focused on price, you can find plans from just $10 a month! Read about these options in Team Clark’s guide to the best cell phone plans and deals.
Whether you switch to a senior plan or an ultra low-cost provider, the most important takeaway is to review your latest cell phone bill and shop for a less expensive option.
Think about this: Money expert Clark Howard highlighted an incredible money-saving example on his podcast. He was talking with a couple and one of them was over the age of 55. She was paying $270 a month on a legacy plan with a major network. If she switched to one of the senior-specific plans, she could save $200 a month, which adds up to $2,400 a year! That’s real money back in your wallet.
Here’s a look at the best mobile plans designed just for seniors.
T-Mobile Senior Plan: The T-Mobile Magenta Unlimited 55 plan offers unlimited talk, text and data on a major network for a low price, plus access to T-Mobile Tuesday deals every week.
- Plan: T-Mobile Magenta Unlimited 55
- Monthly price: $70 with auto pay ($35 per line); taxes and fees included
- Age requirement: Yes (ages 55 and up)
- Why we like it: You get unlimited talk, text and data for a low price on a major network.
- How to get it: Existing customers can call 1-800-866-2453. New customers need to visit a local T-Mobile store. Learn more here.
Consumer Cellular Senior Plan: Although Consumer Cellular may not have the lowest prices, the company gets high ratings for quality customer service. In addition, AARP members can get a 5% discount on monthly service and a 30% discount off select accessories.
- Plan: Unlimited talk, text and 2GB of high-speed data (Other plans available)
- Monthly price: $30 before taxes and fees
- Age requirement: No
- Why we like it: You can expect good customer service and can customize your plan based on how you much talk, text or use data.
- How to get it: Visit this website or call 1-888-529-3352.
Great Call Senior Plan: GreatCall offers the easy-to-use Jitterbug phone for those interested in a simple option, but be prepared for the additional costs! The phone is typically $100, excluding a one-time activation fee.
- Plan: Basic with unlimited talk and text (Other plans available)
- Monthly price: $40 before taxes and fees
- Age requirement: No
- Why we like it: The technology is simple and offers unique services like an urgent response option for emergencies.
- How to get it: Visit this website or call 1-800-733-6632.
In addition to the options above, AARP offers senior discounts on select AT&T plans.
If you switched and saved, let us know in the comments below!