Have a tax dispute with the IRS? These organizations can help


If you owe back taxes, you’ve probably seen ads from companies promising to help you pay just pennies on the dollar and settle your debt with the IRS.

But don’t fall for the bait; that promise is doubtful at best.

If you do have a tax dispute with the IRS, there’s a better way to handle it…

RELATED: Key 2018 tax dates to know

How to get help from Low Income Taxpayer Clinics

The IRS in partnership with the Office of the Taxpayer Advocate makes free Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITCs) available across the country to assist taxpayers who are of limited means.

The chief function of LITCs is to provide pro bono representation on the behalf of taxpayers. But these organizations also educate them about their rights and responsibilities as taxpayers.

Finally, LITCs also have the responsibility of identifying and advocating for issues that impact low-income taxpayers.

Certain income requirements do apply if you plan to use the resources of an LITC in your area.

Low income tax payer clinic income eligibility guidelines

Using an LITC makes the most sense if you fall into one of the two following categories:

  • You are a low-income taxpayer who needs assistance in resolving a tax dispute with the IRS and you cannot afford representation.
  • You speak English as a second language.

Here’s a complete rundown of LITC locations across the country…

low income taxpayer clinics locations 1low income taxpayer clinics locations 3low income taxpayer clinics locations 4low income taxpayer clinics locations 5low income taxpayer clinics locations 7

RELATED: New IRS tax withholding tables mean your paycheck might be getting a little bigger soon

Mark your calendar: Key 2018 tax dates to know!

[anvplayer video=”4302760″ station=”998267″]

  • Show Comments Hide Comments