If you’re a senior who’s tired of paying too much for cell phone service, there are several options for switching to a cheaper provider without sacrificing service.
In fact, some major wireless providers offer affordable plans specifically for people who are 55 and older.
Cell Phone Plans Designed for Seniors
There are many benefits to senior cell phone options including lower-priced unlimited plans, better customer service and easy-to-use technology.
While great age-specific deals exist, there are cheaper options. If you’re focused on price, you can find plans from just $10 a month! Read about these options in Team Clark’s guide to the best cell phone plans and deals.
Whether you switch to a senior plan or to an ultra-low-cost provider, the most important takeaway is to review your latest cell phone bill and shop for a less expensive option.
Think about this: Money expert Clark Howard highlighted an incredible money-saving example on his podcast. He was talking with a couple, and one of them was over the age of 55. She was paying $270 a month on a legacy plan with a major network. Switching to a senior-specific plan could save her $200 a month which adds up to $2,400 a year! That’s real money back in your wallet.
Here’s a look at the best mobile plans designed just for seniors:
The T-Mobile Magenta Unlimited 55 plan offers unlimited talk, text and data on a major network for a low price, plus access to Netflix Basic (if you have two lines) and T-Mobile Tuesday deals every week.
- Plan: T-Mobile Magenta Unlimited 55
- Monthly price: $70 for two lines with auto pay ($50 for one line); taxes and fees included
- Age requirement: Yes (age 55 and up)
- Why we like it: Unlimited talk, text and data for a low price on a major network
- How to get it: Existing customers can call 1-800-866-2453. New customers need to visit a local T-Mobile store. Learn more here.
T-Mobile also offers two other options for people who are 55 or older. T-Mobile Essentials Unlimited 55 is the basic unlimited plan and costs $55 a month for two lines with auto pay ($40 for one line), but taxes and fees are not included.
T-Mobile Magenta Max Unlimited 55 is the premium unlimited plan at $90 a month for two lines with auto pay ($65 for one line). The biggest perk with this plan is unlimited data with no slowdowns. Both Magenta Max Unlimited 55 and Magenta Unlimited 55 offer Netflix if you have two lines of service. Taxes and fees are included.
- Plan: Unlimited talk, text and high-speed data
- Monthly price: $75 for two lines ($60 for one line); taxes and fees not included
- Age requirement: No
- Why we like it: You can expect good customer service and can customize your plan based on how you much talk, text or use data
- How to get it: Visit this website or call 1-888-529-3352
GreatCall offers the easy-to-use Lively Flip by Jitterbug phone for those interested in a simple option, but be prepared for the additional costs: The phone typically costs $100, and there’s a one-time activation fee.
- Plan: Basic with unlimited talk and text
- Monthly price: $40 for one line; taxes and fees not included
- Age requirement: No
- Why we like it: The technology is simple and offers unique add-on services like an urgent response option for emergencies
- How to get it: Visit this website or call 1-800-733-6632
In addition to the options above, AARP offers senior discounts on select AT&T plans.
If you have a legacy plan with a major network, switching to an age-specific plan might be a great way to reduce your monthly cell phone bill without sacrificing service. However, it’s important to note that these plans aren’t always the cheapest options. Use Team Clark’s comprehensive cell phone plan guide to see the latest deals, tips and reviews.
If you switched and saved, let us know in the comments below!