While the list price will be $14.99 per month for access to the HBO Max content library — which will include more than 10,000 hours of all your HBO favorites plus iconic TV shows like Friends — there will be some AT&T customers who will be able to access the new service free of charge.
AT&T announced in late April that “millions” of its customers will be eligible to access HBO Max for free, at least for a period of time. That includes a wide range of users across different product lines, including DIRECTV, U-verse and AT&T’s TV, internet and phone services.
Are you one of the people who will get complimentary access? Here’s how it breaks down:
AT&T Customers Who Qualify for Free HBO Max
We basically can divide this up into two groups of customers: A group that will receive this as a temporary perk and a group that will receive HBO Max for free indefinitely.
HBO Max For Free Indefinitely
If you subscribe to any of the following AT&T products, you will receive complimentary access to HBO Max as a part of your agreement:
- HBO subscription purchased through AT&T
- DIRECTV Premier and Lo Maximo packages
- AT&T TV NOW Max
- AT&T TV Premier (coming soon)
- U-verse U400, U450 or U450 Latino TV packages
- AT&T Unlimited Elite wireless plan
- AT&T Internet 1000 plan
HBO Max Free Trial Period
If you don’t have any of the above, don’t fret. You may still be able to access HBO Max for a period of time before the $14.99 monthly fee is put into effect.
Here’s a look at the free viewing periods for some other AT&T products:
- New customers of the following products will receive one year of HBO Max for free:
- AT&T TV CHOICE, XTRA or ULTIMATE, and ÓPTIMO MÁS packages
- DIRECTV CHOICE, XTRA, ULTIMATE, MÁS ULTRA or ÓPTIMO MÁS packages
- Existing customers of “many” of the AT&T and DIRECTV video packages will receive three months of free HBO and HBO Max upon the product’s release
- New and existing AT&T internet customers not on the “1000 plan” will receive one month of HBO Max free of charge
- New and existing AT&T wireless customers on the AT&T Unlimited Extra, AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Mobile Share plans will receive one month of HBO Max for free
Other Ways to Get HBO Content Without Spending More
If you are not an AT&T customer and you are not looking to add a new streaming subscription to your monthly budget, there are a couple of ways that you could check out some HBO content at no additional cost.
HBO Now and HBO.com
The first way is to download the HBO Now app or visit HBO’s website. Even though this is designed for subscribers, there is a selection of content available free of charge.
While you’re not going to get access to many of HBO’s premium channels without subscribing, you can get access to limited episodes of some HBO series, full-length HBO documentaries and a collection of older movies.
Amazon Prime Subscription
If you already subscribe to Amazon Prime for online shopping reasons, you may not be aware that a subscription to the Prime Video streaming service is included.
In addition to some strong original content, the platform also has archives of some popular television series. That includes some HBO classics. You can watch the full series of shows like The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, The Wire and Deadwood with your Prime subscription.
While this isn’t necessarily a freebie, it could be considered “HBO entertainment at no additional cost” if you’re already an Amazon subscriber.