One of the most important decisions you’ll make as a homeowner is choosing exterior and interior paint schemes for your house. After all, you have to see those colors every day.
And, in the event that you want to sell your home, it may be the paint job — the colors and the quality — that closes the deal.
That’s why it’s important to pick a brand of paint that has a professional finish and lasts a long time.
In this article, we’re going to talk about the best paint options for your home, taking a look at the top brands as chosen by paint quality experts and the ones that have made customers the happiest.
Best interior paints, best exterior paints, best paint colors: Table of contents
Looking to give your home a fresh coat? Here are the best paints for 2019
There are all sorts of theories out there on how the color of paint on your home can influence your mood, neighborhood home values and other things. But what constitutes the best paint?
That’s where we turn to J.D. Power’s 2019 U.S. Paint Satisfaction Survey, which is one of the leading house paint surveys. The study weighs factors like price, application, durability and warranty/guarantee in figuring their best-of list.
We should note here that while the J.D. Power survey ranks overall brands, Consumer Reports goes a step further and looks at the paints offered at different price points by the various brands.
Taken together, they give you a pretty good idea about what you should be looking for when you make your next trip to the paint store.
So, without further ado, here are your winners (Behr and Sherwin-Williams tied for first place):
The best interior paints for your home
|Rank||J.D. Power||Consumer Reports|
|1||Sherwin-Williams||Behr Premium Plus
|3||Valspar||Behr Premium Plus Ultra|
|4||Benjamin Moore||Benjamin Moore Aura
|5||Dutch Boy||Clark + Kensington Enamel
Key findings for best interior paints
- Behr is rated the best interior paint brand by both outlets, with its paints taking the top three spots in the Consumer Reports rankings.
- Consumer Reports’ rating system give three varieties of Behr paint (Marquee, Premium Plus and Premium Plus Ultra) its highest scores, but it should be noted that second-ranked Premium Plus is actually less expensive than the third-ranked Premium Plus Ultra paint.
- Behr topped JD Power’s list by winning in some key categories related to overall customer experience. Not only was the paint’s application and price figured in, but also ease of purchase and things related to sales and promotion.
See the rest of Consumer Reports’ top picks for interior paints here.
See the rest of J.D. Power’s top picks for interior paints here.
The best exterior paints for your home
|Rank||JD Power||Consumer Reports|
|1||Benjamin Moore||Behr Premium Plus Ultra Exterior
|2||Sherwin-Williams||Clark + Kensington Exterior
|3||Behr||Sherwin-Williams Emerald Exterior
|4||Glidden||Behr Premium Plus Exterior
|5||Valspar||Valspar DuraMax Exterior
Key findings for best exterior paints
- Consumer Reports’ rating system again went with Behr based on a number of durability tests, including appearance of the paint after three years, six years and nine years. Behr’s Premium Plus Ultra Exterior and its Premium Plus Exterior both ranked in the top four.
- Benjamin Moore topped JD Power’s list with a score of 858 out of a 1,000. That just nipped Sherwin-Williams, which scored an 854 for overall customer satisfaction.
See the rest of Consumer Reports’ top picks for exterior paints here.
See the rest of J.D. Power’s top picks for exterior paints here.
Paint company picks for 2019’s hottest colors
Each year, most of the major paint brands release their “Color of the Year” or something similar to give consumers ideas about what they might use in their homes. These lists often inform home decorators and paint stores of the trends of the day when it comes to palettes.
Here are the picks for 2019:
Behr’s 2019 Color of the Year is Blueprint S470-5, a blue that the company calls “an honest, approachable color that conjures up the blueprints builders rely on to bring architectural designs to life.”
Sherwin-Williams: Cavern Clay
Sherwin-Williams picked Cavern Clay SW 7701 as their 2019 Color of the Year.
Valspar: Healing Airy Blue + 11
Valspar chose 12 colors to highlight this year, including this one called Healing Airy Blue. “This breezy blue has healing qualities and a weightlessness that pushes out the walls,” Valspar Color Strategist Sue Kim says.
PPG selected a dark green called “Night Watch” as its 2019 Color of the Year. “Night Watch is about bringing the healing power from the outdoors into your home through color,” explains Dee Schlotter, PPG senior color marketing manager.