NBC boldly entered the competitive on-demand streaming market with Peacock in 2020.
And now American Express is offering many of its customers the chance to kick the tires on the platform’s premium subscription in 2021.
American Express Will Cover the Cost of Peacock Premium for 3 Months
If you have an American Express credit card that is eligible to participate in the Amex Offers program, you’re just a few clicks away from enjoying Peacock’s premium subscription for free for three months.
From now until March 31, 2021, eligible cardholders will be able to opt in to get their $4.99 Peacock Premium subscription charge reimbursed for up to three months.
So what is the catch? Well, there isn’t one. But there are a few hoops you’ll have to jump through to ensure you get reimbursed.
How to Claim the Peacock Offer from Amex
Step 1: Log in to your cardholder account on the American Express mobile app or website. From there, you can access the “Amex Offers” tab from the menu to see if your card is eligible to claim the offer.
Step 2: If you are eligible, you’ll have to add the offer to your card in order to qualify for the reimbursement. You do that by clicking “Add to Card” once you have pulled up the offer.
Step 3: The final step is to make sure you use your selected American Express card to purchase a subscription directly through NBC’s Peacock at peacocktv.com. That means you should not sign up through Google, Apple, Amazon or any other third party that carry Peacock through their streaming devices. The purchase needs to go directly through Peacock for American Express to recognize the transaction is eligible for this promotion.
What Do I Get with the Peacock Premium Subscription?
Beginning January 1, 2021, Peacock became the exclusive streaming home of The Office. In addition to taking one of the top-streamed television shows away from Netflix, NBC further incentivized fans to subscribe by including some exclusive and never-before-seen excerpts from The Office.
The service streams the first two seasons of the show on its free subscription tier, but you have to be a Premium subscriber to get Seasons 3-9 and all the extras.
For example, here’s a teaser of a “Making of The Office” piece that is exclusive to Peacock:
Not a fan of The Office? No worries. There’s plenty of other content to explore on Peacock.
It includes access to a catalog of NBC hits, original content and some live sports. Here’s a quick sampling of what you can expect:
- Parks and Recreation
- Friday Night Lights
- 30 Rock
- Saturday Night Live archives
- Live soccer games from the English Premier League
- A deep library of on-demand movies including the new Trolls World Tour
- New original content including a Saved by the Bell sequel series starring Mario Lopez (All four seasons of the first SBTB series are available to stream as well)
Right after its debut, I spent quite a bit of time digging into the Peacock Premium service for this Team Clark review. You may be able to find some answers to more questions you have about the service there.
What’s in the Fine Print of This Offer?
You may have noticed on both of the screenshots I shared from this offer that the language referred you to the “offer terms” for more details.
I read through all that tiny print for you, and here’s what you’ll need to take away from it:
- You must use the same Amex card to pay that you used to enroll.
- No double-dipping! If you have more than one Amex card, you can still claim this offer only once.
- This offer is only good in the United States.
- You’re getting a $4.99 reimbursement for up to three monthly subscription charges. That means your maximum benefit is $14.97.
- You can get credit for just one charge per calendar month, and the offer ends on March 31, so you’ll have to start your subscription by the end of January to receive three months of credit.
- If you cancel your service during a month you’re expecting a reimbursement, you may not be entitled to that month’s credit.
- Your Amex account must be in good standing to be eligible for these credits.
If you’re an American Express cardholder who is not taking advantage of the Amex Offers program, you should definitely take a few minutes to check it out. All you have to do is log in via the app or website to get access to hundreds of discount offers and freebies. Most of them require that you opt in to receive the promotion, but that’s usually just a quick click.
As for Peacock, it’s hard to go wrong with three free months of a premium on-demand streaming service. You won’t find the depth of content that you would from a service like Netflix, but there is plenty to keep you entertained on the Peacock platform.
If you’re a fan of The Office, it’s likely that you’ve already considered signing up for Peacock. This is the perfect opportunity to give Peacock a shot with no risk. Just remember to cancel at the end of your three months if you decide that the premium version of Peacock is not for you.