Planning an outdoor celebration soon? Now that the weather is warming up, many of us are having barbecues and house parties — and of course that means lots of food!
But what do you do when hundreds of ants decide to crash your celebration?
Household Hacker uploaded a video to YouTube that shows a surprisingly simple way to keep ants from ruining your picnic and letting all of that food go to waste.
Read more: Here’s how easy DIY pest control can be…
Easy way to keep ants away from food
- Gather four extra plates, such as Tupperware, disposable plates or pie tins
- Place the legs of the table into the containers
- Fill in each container with water to prevent ants from getting too far
Important tip: Be sure to empty the containers after you eat because leaving standing water around can lead to an entirely different problem: mosquitoes.
Read more: 5 natural ways to get rid of pests
As for those food-hungry ants, the folks at Terminix have a few tips to starve them out if they get inside your house:
- Purchase airtight containers to store your food
- Wipe down the outside of storage bins and other containers after every use
- Keep food in harder to access places, such as freezers, refrigerators, plastic bags and mason jars
- Use the garbage disposal rather than leaving food sitting around in a trash can
- Vacuum your floors regularly