Movie membership clubs are all the rage these days. That’s prompted the nation’s third-largest theater chain to step up with its own program for diehard film fans.
Introducing Cinemark’s Movie Club
Amid competition from movie-streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime, Cinemark is fighting back by introducing Movie Club.
For $8.99 a month, members receive the following benefits:
- One credit each month good for a single 2D movie ticket
- Credits never expire and can be rolled over from month-to-month
- Reserve seats and buy tickets in advance with no fees through the Cinemark app or online
- Purchase additional tickets at the member price of $8.99 each
- Enjoy a 20% discount on concessions each time you visit
At last count, Cinemark operated 533 theaters with 5,957 screens in 41 U.S. states, as well as in Brazil, Argentina and 13 other Latin American countries.
The launch of Cinemark’s Movie Club comes on the heels of newly discounted pricing from a similar program called Movie Pass.
In August 2017, Movie Pass lowered its price from $50 a month to $10, offering members the ability to see one 2D film every day for a month.
So that’s up to 31 films a month for $10 (Movie Pass) vs. one flick a month for $9 (Movie Club). For most people, there’s a clear-cut winner!
Yet the new Movie Pass business model has drawn questions from Wall Street analysts about the sustainability of such ridiculously low pricing.
We’ll have to wait and see how long these services stick around!