We’re just days away from Black Friday — the traditional start of the Christmas shopping season — and toy safety group World Against Toys Causing Harm (W.A.T.C.H.) has revealed its 10 worst toys of 2017.
Safety group names worst toys of the year
Every year, W.A.T.C.H. puts out its annual tally of the most dangerous toys in the marketplace.
This year’s list includes everything from innocuous looking dolls and baby xylophones to toy swords and crossbows, superhero-themed drones and even fidget spinners!
The rankings compile “toys with inconsistent and inadequate warnings, cautions and age recommendations as well as other classic safety hazards that continue to re-appear year after year,” according to a press release.
And, new for 2017, W.A.T.C.H. has a special caution for online buyers: Be sure you’re not buying recalled toys!
Here is this year’s top 10 list:
- Hallmark “Itty Bittys” Baby Stacking Toy: This toy was recalled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission in August for “fabric hats and bows that can detach, posing a choking hazard.”
- Tolo Pull-Along Pony: Beware of the potential for strangulation and entanglement injuries.
- Wonder Woman Battle-Action Sword: Watch out for “the potential to cause facial or other impact injuries” as you’re battling bad guys.
- Hand Fidgetz Spinners: All the rage these days, these fidget spinners pose a choking hazard because of small parts.
- Spider-Man Spider Drone Official Movie Edition: Beware of the potential for eye and facial impact injuries from this high flier.
- Nerf Zombie Strike Dreadbolt Crossbow: This toy gives new meaning to the holiday phrase, “You’ll shoot your eye out, kid” with a “primary pressurized lever” that fires projectiles at the walking dead.
- Slackers Slackline Classic Series Kit: This one is marketed for all ages with a target audience recommendation of those 5 and older. But that conveniently ignores the fact that users can sustain “severe injury,” including “a strangulation hazard, especially with children.”
- Oval Xylophone: According to W.A.T.C.H., “The manufacturer provides no warnings regarding the slender, rigid approximately 9 ½” long drumstick handle, which has the potential to be mouthed and occlude a child’s airway.”
- Jetts Heel Wheels: Beware of the potential for blunt impact and fire-related burn injuries stemming from the skid pads that generate sparks!
- Brianna Babydoll: As sweet as this doll looks, the removable clothing and pink ponytail holders pose an ingesting and choking for the 18 months+ crowd.
3 quick facts about the Toys R Us bankruptcy
[anvplayer video=”4177895″ station=”998267″]