Bad news for coffee lovers! Your morning caffeine fix is going to be more expensive in 2017.
The J.M. Smucker Company has announced a 6% price hike for most of the packaged coffee products it sells at grocery stores. The increase is in response to rising green coffee costs.
Coffee prices are on the rise
The company sells coffee at supermarkets nationwide under a variety of popular brand names, including Folgers, Dunkin’ Donuts and Café Bustelo.
The more expensive K-Cup pods are excluded from the price hike.
Prices will not go up at Dunkin’ Donuts stores as part of this announcement, however the coffee chain did increase prices last year. And so did Starbucks.
Although packaged coffee prices are going up, brewing your coffee at home can still save you $500 a year.
BOUGHT AT RESTAURANT
- Medium Dunkin’ Donuts hot coffee
- $1.89 before tax
- 14 fluid ounces
- 13.5 cents per fluid ounce
BREWED AT HOME
- 12-ounce bag Dunkin’ Donuts ground coffee
- $7.99 before tax
- Makes up to 40 cups, 6 fluid ounces each
- 3.3 cents per fluid ounce
7 cheap brands of coffee that people really love!
If you’re looking for other ways to save, you may want to consider buying one of these seven cheaper brands of coffee that Reddit users identified as the best.
- Cafe Bustelo: $3.88 for a 10-ounce container at Walmart
- Trader Joe’s: Starting at $6.99 for a 14-ounce container
- Eight O’Clock Coffee: $5.20 for an 11-ounce bag at Walmart
- Community Coffee: $6.00 for a 12-ounce bag at Walmart
- Barissimo (Aldi): $3.99 for a 12-ounce bag
- Archer Farms (Target): $6.11 for a 12-ounce bag
- Kirkland Signature (Costco): $27.29 for a 96-ounce container
Need more convincing? A blind taste test conducted by NBC News late last year found that 67% of coffee drinkers preferred a $1 cup over a $3.25 cup.