Are you gearing up for some online shopping during Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Some Citi cardholders have an opportunity for extra savings coming their way.
Citi just announced that many cardholders will be eligible for a 5% cash back bonus for online shopping during select dates during November.
Here are the details:
Citi’s Holiday Promotion: 5% Cash Back Bonus in November
Citi will be offering 5% back on up to $500 of online purchases that are made between Tuesday, November 24 and Monday, November 30.
This promotional period spans Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday, giving you an optimal timeframe for spending on some of the best deals of the year. (Bonus tip: Head over to Clark Deals to find all the best online shopping bargains for this period.)
You must opt in with your qualified credit card to activate this promotion. The offer excludes new cardholders. Your Citi card must have been active as of October 23 to be eligible.
The reward maxes out at $25. It will show up as a statement credit to the primary cardmember’s account 1-2 billing cycles after the purchases are made.
It’s worth noting that Citi says you can stack this reward on top of existing bonuses. So if you have a Citi Double Cash card you’ll still earn your normal 2% cash back on these purchases (1% when you buy, 1% when you pay your bill).
Which Citi Cards Are Eligible for This Promotion?
Most Citi-branded consumer and small business credit cards are eligible for this offer.
But there are some exclusions:
- Corporate, professional, debit, retail cards (Citi says the excluded cards include, but are not limited to: Best Buy, Macy’s, Home Depot, L.L. Bean, Shell, Sears)
- Authorized users of the Costco Anywhere Visa® consumer and small business cards and CitiBusiness®/ AAdvantage® Platinum Select card.
Also, some qualifying hurdles you must clear include the following:
- The card must have been active by October 23, 2020 to be eligible for this promotion.
- Your account must be open, current and in good standing at all times.
- The card account must not be in conversion status.
- You must not have declared bankruptcy in the seven days prior to enrollment.
Steps to Claim the Offer
- Sign in to your Citi account online or through your phone app.
- Navigate to the “Products & Offers” page from the “Services” tab.
- Select the offer to get your card enrolled.
If this doesn’t work for you, Citi offers the following disclaimer:
“If you don’t see the offer listed, it means you are not eligible for the offer or you have already enrolled in the offer. You can also enroll by calling the number on the back of your card.”
What You Need to Know About Qualifying Online Purchases
Once you’ve opted in with your qualified Citi credit card, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind as you spend to get that $25 statement credit:
- The merchant must tag your purchase as having been made online to earn the reward.
- Citi says “purchases made through mobile/wireless technology may not earn the reward depending on how the technology is set up to process the purchase.”
- Citi Flex Loans and Flex Pays are not considered online purchases.
- You cannot purchase items like lottery tickets or make gambling deposits to earn this reward.
While those qualifiers may be a little intimidating, it’s not as restrictive as it may seem. Most of your standard internet purchases should qualify for this reward.
This is a nice gesture by Citi to gear up for a holiday season that will likely find a lot more of us relying on online shopping due to pandemic conditions.
If you have any shopping planned for the coming weeks, it’d probably be wise to save $500 worth of your spending for claiming this promotion with your Citi card.
This is a no-risk way to put some extra money back in your pocket on purchases you may have already been planning to make.
Remember, though, that this promotion is for existing Citi customers only. Don’t go signing up for a new Citi card in an attempt to claim this deal.