If you need to find your phone’s IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number (sometimes called a Mobile Equipment Identifier (MEID), there are a number of simple ways to do that.
That 15-digit number is a unique identifier for your phone much like a VIN is for your car.
In this article, I’m going to show you several easy methods of finding your phone’s IMEI number. Some of these methods work even if you don’t have your phone with you!
6 Easy Ways To Find Your Phone’s IMEI Number
1. Find Your IMEI by Dialing This Code
For many iPhones and Android devices, the easiest way to find your IMEI number is to dial the following: “*#06#“.
That’s star, pound sign, zero, six, pound sign. The 15-digit IMEI number should appear on your screen.
2. Find Your IMEI on Your SIM Card Tray
If you pull out your SIM card tray and turn it over, you’ll see the 15-digit number there on most iPhone models and some Android phones.
3. Find Your IMEI in Your Phone’s Settings
Another way to find your IMEI number if you have your phone in hand is through your device’s settings.
Find Your IMEI in Your Android’s Settings
Go to Settings > About phone > Status and look for the IMEI number. Or you may need to tap IMEI information to get the numbers.
On some Androids, it will be under Settings > General > About device > Status.
Find Your IMEI in Your iPhone’s Settings
Go to Settings > General > About then scroll down until you see the IMEI.
All the ways we’ve discussed so far involve finding your phone’s IMEI inside the device. Thankfully, there are other ways to find those digits if something happens to your phone.
There are some instances where you may not be able to access your phone, yet still need its IMEI number. Here are some ways to do that:
4. Find Your IMEI Number on Your Phone’s Box
If you still have the box the phone came in, you can find your IMEI number on a label on the outside of that box.
That’s a good reason to save the box or record the number somewhere safe.
5. Find Your Android’s IMEI Number on Google Dashboard
If your phone’s lost or stolen and you don’t have the box, you can still find your IMEI number by following these steps.
2. Click on the information icon next to your device.
3. That’s where your IMEI number will appear.
6. Find Your iPhone’s IMEI Number in Your Online iCloud Account
This method comes from Apple.com: To find your IMEI in your online iCloud account, connect your iPhone to a Mac computer with the operating system Catalina 10.15 or later (released in 2019).
- Open the Finder.
- Click on Locate your device under the General tab.
- Click Phone Number under your device name or device model.
- Your IMEI number can be found right under the device’s name.
Recap: Find the IMEI Number on Your Phone These 6 Ways
- Dial this code: *#06#.
- Look on your SIM card tray.
- Look inside the settings of your phone.
- Find it on the outside of the box your phone came in.
- Android only: Find it on your Google Dashboard.
- iPhone only: Find it inside your iCloud account online.
Team Clark recommends that whenever you buy a new phone, either keep the box or record the IMEI number somewhere before you throw it away.