It’s important to know a store’s return policy in general, but even more so during the holiday season. Since it’s difficult to know exactly what someone might want this Christmas, you’ll definitely need to know what the return policy is for the stores where you shop. You don’t want the recipient (or yourself!) to get stuck with a gift they can’t use or don’t want. So check out this important info below that we’ve rounded up from ConsumerWord!
Stores that have changed return policies
- Members may no longer return tires, batteries or custom orders.
Gap, Macy’s, Target, Old Navy, Amazon, and Saks 5th Avenue:
- These retailers are picking up the shipping for returned merchandise. Be sure to also check other retailers’ sites — since according to the National Retail Federation, 49% of online retailers are now offering free returns!
- Sears has simplified their return policy so that instead of different categories of items being returned at different times, returns on most items must be completed within 30 days of purchase.
In addition, there are some retailers who have return policies that are a little bit out of the norm.
- Target REDcard holders get 30 extra return days to return their merchandise.
Express & Bloomingdales:
- Any items with ‘do not remove’ or ‘b-tag’ tags MUST stay intact on the merchandise in order for it to be returned.
- If you don’t have a receipt for your return at Walmart, and if the item is under $25, Walmart will give a cash refund. If the item was over $25, Walmart will issue a store credit or an exchange. Shoppers can only make three returns in a 45 day period, and Walmart tracks all returns and may deny returns that go past the store’s limit.
Keep these tips in mind for hassle-free returns:
- Make sure to keep your receipts.
- Be sure the package is unopened, unused and still has tags.
- If you have a problem returning an item that is within the store’s posted guidelines, you can file a complaint with the Attorney General’s office or local consumer agency.
Check out the full list from Consumer World here!