One of the most convenient ways to buy groceries is to shop online. Not only can it be easy and stress-free, but if you do it right, you can actually get some great deals.
Great Ways To Save While Online Grocery Shopping
I’ve tried a number of online grocery delivery services recently as a way to shop in a contactless way. Shopping online can be more expensive than in-store, but here are some ways to save.
Create a Coupon Inbox
One thing that has made my life much easier when buying groceries online is having a coupon inbox. I have a separate email address I use when I sign up for deals, promotions and other marketing materials.
The inbox for my “coupon” email address keeps all my deals and coupons in one place so that I don’t have to look in multiple inboxes for deals.
Shop Store Brands
ClarkDeals.com Managing Editor Charis Brown says one thing that people often overlook is the opportunity to save by choosing off-brand items.
“Shoppers need to be careful they’re not overpaying for a brand name when a store brand product may be just as good,” she says.
Check Online Coupon Sites
To get the latest deals, you need to check out online coupon websites. Charis says the best coupon site is Coupons.com.
“It actually powers all the other coupon/mommy blogger sites,” she says, “so you’ll find the same coupons on those sites.”
Store Coupon Pages
You can also check out store coupon pages for your favorite retailers. Here are the coupon pages for a few grocery store chains that may have locations near you:
- Albertsons: The retailer’s Just for U page adds personalized deals to your rewards account.
- Kroger Weekly Ad: You can pull up the store’s weekly ad online to see where the deals are.
- Publix Savings: Just select your store and the Savings page will show you the weekly ad, digital coupons as well as other deals.
- Target: The retailer’s Top Deals page shows all the coupons, promos and discounts currently available.
- H-E-B: The grocery’s weekly ad allows you to enter your ZIP code and see deals nearby.
- Whole Foods: The store has a Weekly Sales page that shows you what’s on sale at a location near you.
- Fresh Direct: The Coupons tab on its website lets you sort deals by brand, departments and more.
“When you’re able to combine the national coupons with the store coupons and then any store sales, that’s when you can save the most!” Charis says.
Download Cash Back Apps
Some other cash back apps that work with grocery stores include:
- Checkout 51: Get cash back when you buy an item listed in the app.
- Fetch Rewards: This is my go-to app after shopping. Read our review.
- GetUpside: Get cash back on groceries, gas and other items. Read our review.
Use Cash Back Credit Card on Groceries
Another great way to save is to use cash back credit cards that essentially give you a discount on every purchase.
Here are some other great cash back credit cards to consider.
Take Advantage of First-Time Order Offers
Some services may even waive fees and offer discounts for first-time users via email. Of course, it all depends on the service, your location and the partnering retailer(s).
When you go to a website to shop online for groceries, look on the homepage to see if there are any special offers for first-time orders.
Once you’ve found the grocery items that you want to buy, it’s always good to compare prices with other sites. Two great price comparison tools are:
- Google Shopping: The site lets you track prices so you can buy items on sale.
- Shopbrain: This browser extension allows you to share items you find online and get real-time price comparisons from other retailers.
It’s easy to overspend while grocery shopping online. That’s why it takes some strategy to save money. Always remember to look for sales on the individual sites and apps that you use.
Charis says when it comes to shopping for groceries online, don’t forget about discount grocers.
“I would say the best option to save all around would be shopping at a store like Aldi if there’s one in your area, since it tends to be around 30% cheaper,” she says.
On the Aldi app, save more by browsing the Weekly Ad and Aldi Finds features. You can also check ClarkDeals.com for the latest Aldi deals before they expire!