Are you trying to get rid of clutter and make more money? Try selling your stuff on OfferUp, an app that lets you post almost any item to make extra cash.
There are plenty of other platforms where you can sell your stuff, but this article has the steps you need for a safe and successful OfferUp experience. Here’s what you need to know:
- How OfferUp works
- What can you post on OfferUp
- Steps to sell on OfferUp
- How to make your listing stand out
- Is OfferUp safe?
- How does OfferUp make money?
- How to delete an OfferUp account
How OfferUp works
What can you post on OfferUp?
OfferUp lets you list a wide variety of items including:
- Household items
- Musical instruments
- Tools and machinery
OfferUp specifies that your post must be a tangible item in your possession rather than something intangible such as a service or advertisement. Additionally, you cannot sell gift cards, alcohol or offensive items on the platform. See the entire list of prohibited listings here.
Steps to sell on OfferUp
OfferUp is a sort of hybrid of Letgo and eBay that makes posting an item for sale pretty simple. Here’s how you do it:
- Set up an OfferUp account and set your location: OfferUp needs this in order to show the area where you are selling. It won’t show others your exact location.
- Click the “Post” button with the camera icon: You’ll find this button in the bottom middle of your app.
- Take or select photos of your item to be displayed: Pictures let buyers see what they’re really getting. Make sure you have a photo that clearly shows the item without other clutter.
- Title your item: Keep the title short and sweet — you can add more details later.
- Describe your item by selecting a category and the condition that it’s in: The app gives you a list of options for this step. You can choose from a wide range of categories that include pretty much anything you could buy. The condition selection is a little more limited, but you can use the next step to clarify this detail.
- Write details further describing your item: Add any extra details about your item, like a more accurate description of the item’s condition or if it has accessories included.
- Set your price: You can choose whether you want to have a firm price or allow buyers to haggle with you with the “Firm on price” option.
- Wait for buyers: If you’re antsy to offload your item you can boost your listing for a fee, but there’s still no guarantee that it will sell. You can also opt to ship your item. If you choose this option, your item may be seen by people across the country rather than just in your area.
How to make your listing stand out
Keep in mind that your post is surrounded by other photos in someone’s feed so you’ll want to try to make your item stand out.
If you want your post to catch a potential buyer’s eye, clean up your item and take a picture of it in good lighting. Adding multiple pictures to your post gives buyers a better idea of what they’re getting.
Posting your item to multiple platforms like Facebook Marketplace, Letgo and Craigslist increases the chance that someone will see your item and want to buy it. You may also want to share the link to your post on social media so that more people see it.
Is OfferUp safe?
OfferUp is as safe to use as any other digital marketplace like Letgo or Facebook. This service doesn’t do background checks, but they do have steps to become a verified user including the TruYou program.
With TruYou, a user verifies their phone number, submits a scan of a state-issued ID and takes a selfie. With these steps, OfferUp will compare the information you provide and add the TruYou verification badge to your account if you are positively confirmed.
Remember that if you have a bad feeling about a seller or potential buyer, don’t risk it. You can block or report a user within the app if you feel uncomfortable.
How does OfferUp make money?
OfferUp makes money by allowing users to promote their posts for a fee as well as hosting ads on the platform. Each type of paid content is labeled “Promoted” or “Ad” respectively.
You won’t be asked to pay just for posting on the app.
How to delete an OfferUp account
OfferUp only tells you how to deactivate your account rather than permanently delete it. However, emailing their customer support about completely deleting your account may solve this problem.
Have you used OfferUp or another app to make extra cash? Let us know about it in the comments below!
Other Clark.com articles you may like: