According to a new report, Americans continue to be inundated with robocalls.
The latest robocall index from YouMail, a call-blocking service, shows nationwide robocall data, and the statistics are pretty astounding. YouMail says Americans received more than 3.8 billion robocalls in July 2022.
Even harder to believe: That figure is appreciably less than the month before!
How Many Robocalls Have Americans Gotten Lately?
That July number breaks down to:
- 123.1 million calls per day
- 5.1 million calls per hour
- 1,400 calls per second
- 11.6 calls per person
Still, the July figure is an 11.9% decrease from June’s robocall volume. According to YouMail, “The decline is likely due primarily to the July 4th holiday, as well as ten weekend days this July versus eight weekend days in June, both of which led to substantially fewer unwanted calls, as robocallers make fewer calls on weekends and holidays.”
It appears that robocallers like some locations more than others. Let’s take a look at YouMail’s statistics for the metropolitan areas with the most robocalls in July 2022.
Robocallers Targeted These Metro Areas Most in July 2022
|Metro Area||Estimated Calls Received||Change Since
|5. New York||113,045,300||-9%|
|6. Los Angeles||106,394,200||-14%|
|San Francisco Bay Area||60,443,300||-16%|
3 Ways To Stop Unwanted Calls
Robocalls aren’t just an annoying waste of time. Many crooks use robocalls to try to scam you out of your money. Here are three ways you can stop those robocalls or any unwanted calls.
1. Don’t Know the Number? Don’t Answer
Money expert Clark Howard has a strategy to prevent getting scammed.
“It’s a simple rule. If I don’t recognize the number as being from someone I know, I do not answer the call.”
2. Use Your Phone’s Call-Blocking Features
Many of today’s phones from Apple and Android have call-blocking features that you may not know about. Use them!
How To Block a Caller on an iPhone
- Open the phone app.
- Tap on Recents.
- Tap the Info button next to the phone number you want to block.
- Scroll down and tap Block this Caller.
How To Block a Caller on an Android Phone
The following steps work for Android phones with Android 6.0 and up.
- Open your Phone app
- Tap More then Call history
- Tap the number you want to block.
- Tap Block / report spam.
3. Use Call-Blocking Tools and Apps
I use the YouMail app to screen calls for scammers and other nuisances. Read the Team Clark review of YouMail for more details.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) says, “Talk to your phone company about call blocking tools they may have and check into apps that you can download to your mobile device to block unwanted calls.”
The major cell phone carriers provide anti-junk call initiatives to cut down on nuisance calls to their customers. Here are a few:
- AT&T – ActiveArmor The call-blocking service comes as a free tool as well as a version with more features for $3.99 a month. Available for Android and iOS.
- T-Mobile Scam Shield: This free app is available to T-Mobile postpaid customers: on Android and iOS.
- Verizon Call Filter: This free app lets you screen incoming calls. There’s also a Plus version for $2.99 a month: Android and iOS.
If you want to learn more, read up on how to stop robocalls for good.