Many travel rewards credit cards carry an annual fee, but if you desire travel rewards with no annual fee, you are not without options. The VentureOne® credit card from Capital One® is a travel rewards card with no annual fee. It offers 1.25 miles per dollar on every purchase and even comes with a 20,000 point signup bonus if you spend $1,000 within three months after opening a new account.
This is one of the best credit card options out there for regular travelers with no annual fee. Let’s dive into the details.
A closer look at the Capital One VentureOne credit card
VentureOne® from Capital One® is a great no-fee travel rewards credit card. It offers a simple, straightforward miles-earning system and makes redeeming your miles incredibly easy. Here’s how the VentureOne® credit card rewards system works.
You earn a flat rate, unlimited 1.25 miles per dollar on every purchase with this card. New cardholders can earn a 20,000 point bonus after spending $1,000 on the card within the first three months. Just make sure to pay off that balance in full every month to avoid expensive interest charges. Regular hotel visitors can rack up miles faster with 10 points per dollar on Hotels.com purchases.
Each Venture point is worth one cent, so the 20,000 point bonus is like getting $200 right out the gate. Venture points are also incredibly flexible. Just make any travel purchase like normal with your VentureOne® card. Then log into your account online and reimburse yourself for the transaction with your miles.
Redemptions are paid as a statement credit. This lowers your next credit card bill rather than giving you a check in the mail, but it all comes out in the wash. Plus, you can redeem miles for flights, hotels, rental cars, and other travel-related purchases. You are not limited to just a small number of partners and there are no blackout dates or restrictions.
The card does not have an annual fee and charges no foreign transaction fees. Plus it charges 0% APR on purchases for the first 12 months after opening a new account.
VentureOne® perks and benefits
We’ve already discussed this card’s awesome rewards program, so let’s look at the additional perks and benefits that come with the card.
- No foreign transaction fee – Many cards charge as much as 3% in fees when you use your card outside of the United States. When you use your VentureOne® card, you don’t have to worry about these types of fees. You can purchase in dollars, pounds, euros, pesos, or anything else without paying any service fees.
- Complimentary concierge service – As a Visa Signature card, this card gives you access to the Visa Signature Concierge service. Call in to get help booking reservations, ordering items, or with other tasks.
- Auto rental insurance – Use this card for a car rental and you are not liable for any costs from collision or theft. Just waive the rental insurance at the counter when renting a vehicle and this coverage kicks in.
- Extended warranties – It’s the worst when you buy something awesome and it breaks just after the warranty expires. With this card, you get an automatic extension of the product’s warranty if you make the full purchase on the card.
There are some other perks you hopefully won’t need as often, like emergency card replacement if your card is lost or stolen. You can even get a quick emergency cash advance so you are not stuck in a bad situation.
VentureOne® credit card costs and fees
You can use this card for free if you pay it off in full every month, as it does not have an annual fee. But there are sometimes you might run into a fee or charge from this credit card.
The card offers variable rate APR of 13.49% to 23.49% based on your credit score and market interest rates. The interest rates are the same for balance transfers, but you pay a higher 24.49% for cash advance transactions. Keep in mind there is no interest on purchases for the first 12 months.
Balance transfers cost 3% if you transfer with a promotional rate APR. If you transfer at the regular card APR, there is no balance transfer fee. Cash advances cost 3% with a $10 minimum per occurrence. Late payments cost up to $38 per occurrence.
Does it belong in your wallet?
VentureOne® is a great travel rewards credit card that balances good rewards with low costs, notably no annual fee. There are some other cards out there if you want more rewards per dollar, but at no annual fee, this card is a solid one.
Just make sure that if you do choose this or any other credit card that you pay it off in full every month. If you do that, you’ll see your credit score rise, avoid fees, and earn valuable miles you can use for free travel. Your biggest worry will be where you are going to visit next.
More Clark.com Credit Card stories you might enjoy:
- Clark Howard: Here’s my philosophy on credit cards
- How to improve your credit score by 100 points in 30 days
- How to lower your credit card interest rate