If you’ve had to shop for hearing aids, you know how expensive they can be. Fortunately, the prices on hearing aids are expected to drop as they’re now available over the counter. Sam’s Club members can already find more affordable models at the warehouse along with a variety of free services.
In this article, I’ll take a close look at Sam’s Club hearing aids and what you can expect when visiting the hearing aid center. I’ve recently researched the process of buying hearing aids from Sam’s Club and compared the prices to other popular hearing aid stores.
This article was updated in September 2023 and I review it every six months. Detailed notes on all updates can be found here.
Sam’s Club Hearing Aid Center: 5 Things To Know Before Your First Visit
Sam’s Club is a great place to shop for nearly anything including hearing aids. In fact, at Clark.com, we rank Sam’s Club as one of the best places to buy hearing aids. The Hearing Aid Centers provide access to a variety of services including hearing evaluations, repair services, follow-up tests and more. Plus, you’ll find great prices on quality hearing devices. Note that you do have to be a member of Sam’s Club to shop for hearing aids there.
Consumer Reports ranked Sam’s Club highly compared to other hearing aid stores during a survey in 2021. Survey respondents gave Sam’s Club above-average scores in categories including evaluation, discussion, options, answering questions, courtesy, training, follow-up service, price transparency and price plan options. Consumer Reports members can see the full survey online.
Before you schedule your first appointment at a Sam’s Club Hearing Aid Center, here are five things to know:
- What Hearing Aids Are Available at Sam’s Club?
- How Much Do Hearing Aids at Sam’s Club Cost?
- How To Buy Hearing Aids at Sam’s Club
- Services Available at Sam’s Club Hearing Aid Centers
- Pros and Cons of Buying Hearing Aids at Sam’s Club
Below, you’ll find detailed information including how much you can expect to pay, the types of hearing aids you can expect to see and how to schedule your first visit.
What Hearing Aids Are Available at Sam’s Club?
Sam’s Club exclusively carries Lucid Hearing Aids including a variety of models: behind-the-ear, in-the-canal and custom devices.
Now that hearing aids are available over the counter, you can purchase Lucid hearing aids online for delivery or visit your nearest Sam’s Club warehouse to shop in-store. You can see the available selection on the Sam’s Club website and even order a specific model for in-store pickup. However, I recommend just going to your nearest Sam’s Club Hearing Aid Center so that you can ask questions and get the model that’s best for you.
In September 2023, I found 12 different models available. Of course, pricing and availability may vary by location.
Prices and availability may vary by location. In addition to hearing devices, Sam’s Club also carries hearing aid batteries and accessories.
You can check out the full selection online or visit your nearest club with a Hearing Aid Center to discuss available options.
How Much Do Hearing Aids at Sam’s Club Cost?
When I checked out the available selection of hearing aids at Sam’s Club in September 2023, the average price was $1,273 per pair for Lucid hearing aids. However, pricing and availability may vary by location.
The cheapest price I saw for a pair of hearing aids online was $199. One model was available for this price. The remaining models were available for $279 to $3,598 per pair.
While these prices aren’t quite as low as what you’ll find at MDHearingAid or Costco on average, you may find a slightly better deal than you would at Miracle-Ear. Still, I did find five different models at Sam’s Club available for under $800 per pair, which is a pretty great price!
It’s no secret that hearing aids can get expensive. In fact, a 2021 survey by Consumer Reports revealed that respondents often left hearing loss untreated due to the high cost of hearing aids.
“More than 60 percent of the survey respondents who use hearing aids waited two years or longer after noticing a hearing loss to buy an aid; 42 percent of them blamed high prices.”Consumer Reports
Fortunately, hearing aids are now sold over the counter, and we’re already starting to see a decrease in prices.
How To Buy Hearing Aids at Sam’s Club
To buy hearing aids at Sam’s Club, you can either visit your nearby warehouse in person or order your hearing aids online. You can also place an order for a hearing aid to be picked up in-store. However, I recommend making an appointment to visit a Hearing Aid Center in person instead as some models are only available in-store and a qualified medical professional can help you make the best choice for your hearing. Fortunately, there are more than 450 Sam’s Club Hearing Aid Centers across the country.
According to Sam’s Club’s website, there are four ways to schedule an appointment:
- Call the toll-free scheduling number at (888) 785-6052.
- Use the online scheduler at this website.
- Visit a Hearing Aid Center and schedule an appointment for a later date.
- Use the Club Locator to find a Hearing Aid Center and call the club’s phone number to schedule an appointment.
I recommend calling your nearest Sam’s Club Hearing Aid Center directly to schedule an appointment.
You can visit this website, enter your ZIP code or city and state and check “Hearing Aid Center” to find your nearest location.
Once you’ve found a location, you can call the club’s phone number directly to schedule an appointment.
Services Available at Sam’s Club Hearing Aid Centers
In addition to hearing aids and accessories, Sam’s Club Hearing Aid Centers also provide a variety of services for members.
According to the Sam’s Club website, the centers offer the following services:
- Hearing evaluation (audiogram)
- Hearing aid evaluation
- Referral for medical treatment (if needed)
- Hearing aid programming and/or adjustments
- Use and maintenance training
- Follow-up care and support
- Repair services
- Annual follow-up tests
Pros and Cons of Buying Hearing Aids at Sam’s Club
Ultimately, Sam’s Club can be a great place to buy hearing aids. Members have access to average prices plus a variety of services and exclusive devices. Of course, a membership is required to take advantage of these perks.
Based on my research, here are a few pros and cons to keep in mind when it comes to buying hearing aids from Sam’s Club.
- Pricing: Hearing aids at Sam’s Club start as low as $199.00 per pair, which is a great price compared to other hearing aid centers. Unfortunately, only one model was available at this low price.
- Transparency: Now that hearing aids are available over the counter, you can have hearing aids shipped directly to you. That means you can see the exact price you’ll pay online. This is a great way to get an idea of whether or not you want to shop there.
- Services: Sam’s Club provides a variety of great services for its members including free follow-up appointments, repairs, hearing tests and more.
- Membership: You do have to be a Sam’s Club member to access to products and services at the Hearing Aid Center. As of September 2023, a standard annual membership costs $50.
- Selection: Sam’s Club only carries one brand of hearing aids: Lucid Hearing Aids. Still, you’ll still be able to choose which model and features work best for you.
While you do have to pay for a Sam’s Club membership to buy your hearing aid(s) here, the savings and services may be worth it.
The cost of a Sam’s Club membership will easily pay for itself if you plan on buying hearing aids there. According to money expert Clark Howard, “If you’re required to be a member to buy hearing aids at a warehouse club price, it is well worth the membership fee to do so.”
Finally, before you make your first appointment, take the time to contact your insurance provider and local Sam’s Club Hearing Aid Center to see if you’ll be eligible for any coverage or reimbursement.
Where do you purchase your hearing aids? Let us know in the Clark.com community!
- September 15, 2023: Updated current selection, availability and pricing