If you’ve ever looked for a quick, simple answer from a professional, maybe you’ve stumbled across JustAnswer.
I first used the website after my cat had surgery and I wanted to ask a few follow-up questions after the veterinarian’s office had already closed.
Recently, I signed up again just to see what new users can expect.
This article was updated in September 2023 and I review it every six months. Detailed notes on all updates can be found here.
What To Know Before Joining JustAnswer
Before you create an account and start asking questions, there are a few things to know about the service you’ll get and the price you’ll pay.
Table of Contents:
- What Is JustAnswer?
- How Does JustAnswer Work?
- How Much Does JustAnswer Cost?
- How To Cancel JustAnswer
- Pros and Cons of JustAnswer
1. What Is JustAnswer?
JustAnswer is an online question-and-answer service that connects users with experts in various subjects.
Once you’re connected with an expert, you can ask a question and receive a typed response. For an additional fee, you can speak with an expert on the phone.
On the website, you’ll find verified experts in the following fields:
- Taxes, financial issues
- Veterinary medicine
- Electrical work
- Electronics, phones
- Computers, software
- Home improvement
There’s also a “General” category that’s a bit of a catchall. The site says it covers relationships, entertainment, jobs, etiquette, dream interpretation, clock repair, genealogy and more.
2. How Does JustAnswer Work?
Users sign up for JustAnswer, ask a question and receive an answer from a verified expert.
Before you can talk to an expert, you will have to create an account. There are a few different ways to do this, and which route you take may affect the price you’re asked to pay.
How To Sign Up For JustAnswer
The best way to begin your membership with JustAnswer is by signing up for a weeklong trial. The price for this seems to be $5. In the past, I’ve seen the week-long free trial as low as $1; however, when I recently tried to sign up again with the same steps, the trial was $5.
When you click on the link, you’ll see an open conversation window with “Pearl Wilson, Expert’s Assistant.” This automated assistant can send you a link to sign up for the trial membership.
Begin by telling “her” what you need to know. You’ll likely have to answer a few follow-up questions before you receive a sign-up link and get connected with an expert in an appropriate field.
When you sign up, you’ll be asked for your email address, phone number and payment information. You’ll be charged only the trial membership fee to begin with.
If you’re interested in signing up for JustAnswer, be sure to use this link to get the best offer.
How To Ask a Question On JustAnswer
If you sign up for JustAnswer after sending your question to Pearl Wilson, an appropriate expert will have a chance to review the conversation before responding.
After sending my cat-related question to Pearl, I was connected with an expert in 14 minutes. She responded, and I was able to continue the conversation with follow-up questions.
The messaging system allows you to send photos as well as text, which could be helpful in some cases. I chose to just describe the situation to the expert, and this was her final answer:
The Expert Selection Process
If you’re wondering whether or not the experts are trustworthy, the answer is that they should be.
According to JustAnswer, “Experts must have recognized credentials in their fields, such as a lawyer’s, doctor’s or veterinarian’s license, or years of experience working in a particular specialty.”
Once an expert applies to answer questions on the site, the company says a third-party service verifies the expert’s identity and “at least one relevant credential.” After an expert is approved, he or she is subject to customer ratings, peer reviews and secret shoppers. The website clearly displays these ratings for each expert.
JustAnswer uses an algorithm to remove experts failing to meet certain standards set by an advisory board.
3. How Much Does JustAnswer Cost?
The monthly membership fee varies depending on the type of professional you’re connecting with on JustAnswer. The company recently updated its pricing to be much more transparent. Now, you can see the set monthly membership fees for various types of professionals.
As of September 2023, here’s how much you can expect to pay per month for JustAnswer depending on the type of professional you need:
- Veterinarians: $55/month plus $5 join fee
- Doctors: $55/month plus $5 join fee
- Lawyers: $79/month plus $5 join fee
- Technicians: $55/month plus $5 join fee
- Mechanics: $45/month plus $5 join fee
- Tutors: $125/month plus $25 join fee
JustAnswer also claims to provide experts on 150+ other topics. According to the website, “From home repairs to appraisals, pricing varies from $28-$125.”
Once you sign up for JustAnswer, you’ll automatically be charged each month until you cancel your service. However, if you only have one question, I recommend opting for a $5 week-long trial and canceling your service before the week ends.
How the Weeklong Trial Works
During the trial, you can ask unlimited questions. After the week, you’ll be billed for a monthly membership. Still, it seems safe to say that you will never be billed for an amount you aren’t already aware of.
When I created my account, the website clearly stated the amount I could expect to be charged for the first seven days followed by the monthly membership fee.
Just be sure to cancel the trial before you’re charged for a membership fee if you don’t expect to need the service past the one-week period.
Visit the company’s website for more information on JustAnswer’s pricing.
4. How To Cancel JustAnswer
After the initial seven days, JustAnswer bills users monthly for continued membership. Again, you can avoid this fee by canceling your membership before the trial period expires. According to the website, you can cancel your membership by following these steps:
- Click “My Account” in the top right corner of the screen.
- From there, click on “Membership.”
- On the membership page, choose “Cancel my membership.”
I tried to follow these steps, but I always landed back at the homepage when I clicked “Membership.” Instead, I had to call customer service.
If you can’t cancel your membership online, be sure to call JustAnswer’s Customer Service at 1 (800) 509-5721 and speak to a representative who will cancel your membership for you. You can also chat with a live representative online.
5. Pros and Cons of JustAnswer
JustAnswer has both advantages and disadvantages compared to traditional visits with experts. Here are a few major pros and cons of the service that I encountered during my week-long trial.
- JustAnswer is convenient. It’s available 24/7 from any mobile device or computer.
- The service is cheaper than an in-person visit to a doctor, lawyer or mechanic.
- The week-long trial allows you to ask unlimited questions.
- It’s easy and free to get a second opinion from a different expert.
- The website clearly displays the experts’ ratings and reviews.
- You can browse previously answered questions for free. Google search your question followed by “JustAnswer.” Someone else may have already asked the same question, and you can read the conversation without having to sign up.
- Talking with an expert online is not the same as talking to an expert in person. You can choose to talk on the phone for an additional fee, but there are still potential communication barriers.
- Canceling your membership can also be difficult and time-consuming, which can lead to unexpected charges.
- It can take a while to get a response from an expert. After I asked my cat-related question, it took 14 minutes to connect with an expert and 36 minutes total to get an answer.
- The quality of the response can vary greatly from one expert to the next.
If you’re in a pinch and need a quick response from a verified expert, a trial subscription with JustAnswer may be exactly what you need. For an in-depth conversation about a serious matter, I think it would be more worth your time to seek out traditional, professional help.
Share your thoughts in our Clark.com Community.
- September 19, 2023: Updated information regarding the initial week-long trial (now $5 instead of $1)
- September 19, 2023: Updated pricing information based on JustAnswer’s new model
- September 19, 2023: Removed “lack of transparency” from the “Cons” section as JustAnswer has updated its pricing model and published clear monthly membership prices online