If you’ve ever looked for a quick, simple answer from a professional, maybe you’ve stumbled across JustAnswer.
I first used the website after my cat had surgery and I wanted to ask a few follow-up questions later that night after the vet had already closed.
Recently, I signed up again just to see what new users can expect.
What to Know Before Joining JustAnswer
Before you create an account and start asking questions, there are a few things to know about the service you’ll receive and the price you’ll pay.
Table of Contents:
- What Is JustAnswer?
- How Does JustAnswer Work?
- How Much Does JustAnswer Cost?
- How to Cancel JustAnswer
- Pros and Cons of JustAnswer
What Is JustAnswer?
JustAnswer is an online question-and-answer service that connects users with experts in various subjects.
Once you’re connected with an expert, you can ask a question and receive typed responses. For an additional fee, you can speak with an expert on the phone.
On the website, you’ll find verified experts in the following fields:
- Tax, finance
- Doctors, nurses
- Electricians, plumbers
- Electronics, phones
- Computers, software
- Home improvement
There’s also an additional “General” category that covers relationships, entertainment, jobs, etiquette, dream interpretation, clock repair, genealogy and more.
How Does JustAnswer Work?
Users sign up for JustAnswer, ask a question and receive an answer from a verified expert.
There are a few different ways to sign up for JustAnswer before asking a question, and each way leads to a different initial price.
How to Sign Up For JustAnswer
The best way to begin your membership with JustAnswer is by signing up for a $1 week-long trial. To get this option, visit JustAnswer at this link.
When you click on the link, you’ll see an open conversation window with “Pearl Wilson, Expert’s Assistant.” This automated assistant can send you a link to the $1 week-long trial.
Begin by simply telling her what you need to know. She’ll ask a few routine follow-up questions before sending a sign-up link and connecting you with an expert in an appropriate field.
When you sign up, you’ll be asked for an email address, phone number and payment information. You’ll only be charged the $1 trial membership fee to begin with.
I found two other ways to sign up for JustAnswer, but neither brought me to a $1 trial.
- Visiting JustAnswer.com and clicking “continue” after typing in my question brought me to an offer for a $5 week-long trial.
- Creating an account before asking a question redirected me to my.justanswer.com. There, I was asked to categorize and rate my question’s level of urgency. The initial cost for this path was $22 for the question if the answer was satisfactory; there was no trial option.
If you’re interested in signing up for JustAnswer, be sure to use this link to get the best offer.
How to Ask a Question On JustAnswer
If you sign up for JustAnswer after sending your question to Pearl Wilson, an appropriate expert will have a chance to review the conversation before responding.
After sending my cat-related question to Pearl, I was connected with an expert in 14 minutes. She responded, and I was able to continue the conversation with follow-up questions.
The messaging system allows you to send photos as well as text, which could be helpful in some cases. I chose to just describe the situation to the expert, and this was her final answer:
The Expert Selection Process
If you’re wondering whether or not the experts are trustworthy, the answer is that they should be.
According to JustAnswer, “Experts must have recognized credentials in their fields, such as a lawyer’s, doctor’s or veterinarian’s license, or years of experience working in a particular specialty.”
Once an expert applies to answer questions, a third-party service verifies the expert’s identity and “at least one relevant credential.” After an expert is approved, he or she is subject to customer ratings, peer reviews and secret shoppers. The website clearly displays these ratings for each expert.
JustAnswer uses an algorithm to remove experts failing to meet certain standards set by the advisory board.
How Much Does JustAnswer Cost?
The monthly membership fee varies from one user to the next depending on the type of questions asked. Urgent questions that require more detailed responses will lead to a higher monthly membership than simpler questions.
Unfortunately, there’s no set monthly price for the service, and there honestly isn’t any reliable way to estimate what you’ll be paying before signing up and asking your first question. According to JustAnswer customer service representatives, the fee can range from $18 to over $46 monthly.
Again, JustAnswer does offer a week-long trial. While it isn’t free, it is only $1 or $5 and comes with a 100% money-back guarantee if you aren’t satisfied with the service. Just be sure to cancel the trial before you’re charged for a monthly membership fee.
JustAnswer Monthly Membership Fees
I reached out to JustAnswer directly for more information on pricing, but I wasn’t able to get a response. Instead, I talked to various customer service representatives to get a better understanding of the fees.
I was told that the monthly membership fee depends on the type of question you’re asking. Multiple representatives let me know that users were eligible for the $1 or $5 trial depending on how they sign up.
During the trial, you can ask unlimited questions. After the week, you’ll be billed for a monthly membership plan based on the information you’ve entered and the questions you’ve asked.
According to those customer service representatives, medical and legal questions will be at the higher end of the scale. Simpler, less urgent questions can lead to memberships that cost less than $20 monthly.
While there’s a serious lack of transparency when it comes to the pricing algorithm on JustAnswer, it seems safe to say that you will never be billed for an amount you aren’t already aware of.
When I created my account, the website clearly stated that I could expect a $1 charge for the first seven days followed by $29 monthly.
How to Cancel JustAnswer
After the initial seven days, JustAnswer bills users monthly for continued membership. You can avoid this fee by canceling your membership before the trial expires. According to the website, you can cancel your membership by following these steps:
- Click “My Account” in the top right corner of the screen.
- From there, click on “Membership”
- On the membership page, choose “Cancel my membership.”
I tried to follow these steps, but I always landed back at the homepage when I clicked “Membership.” Instead, I had to call customer service again.
If you can’t cancel your membership online, be sure to call JustAnswer’s Customer Service at 1 (888) 862-9212 and speak to a representative who will cancel your membership for you.
Pros and Cons of JustAnswer
JustAnswer has both advantages and disadvantages compared to traditional visits with experts. Here are a few major pros and cons of the service that I encountered during my week-long trial…
- JustAnswer is convenient. It’s available 24/7 from any mobile device or computer.
- The service is cheaper than an in-person visit to a doctor, lawyer or mechanic.
- The week-long trial allows you to ask unlimited questions for only $1.
- It’s easy and free to get a second opinion from a different expert. The website also clearly displays the experts’ ratings and reviews.
- You can browse previously answered questions for free. Google search your question followed by “JustAnswer.” Someone else may have already asked the same question, and you can read the conversation without creating a membership.
- Talking with an expert online is not the same as talking to an expert in person. You can choose to talk on the phone for an additional fee, but there are still potential communication barriers.
- JustAnswer’s lack of transparency is off-putting, especially in terms of pricing. It’s impossible to say exactly what the service will cost until you’ve asked your question.
- It can take a while to get a response from an expert. After I asked my cat-related question, it took 14 minutes to connect with an expert and 36 minutes total to receive an answer.
- The quality of the response can vary greatly from one expert to the next.
If you’re in a pinch and need a quick response from a verified expert, a $1 trial at JustAnswer may be exactly what you need. For an in-depth conversation over a serious matter, it would be more worth your time to seek out traditional, professional help.
Have you used JustAnswer or a similar service? Tell us about your experience in the comments below!