If you have one of a handful of American Express cards, you may have new, free Uber Eats perks to enjoy.
In a press release issued on October 26, 2020, Amex announced new additions to its partnership with the ride-booking and food delivery giant that could be a real win for consumers who are looking to dine in during the coronavirus pandemic.
Amex and Uber Eats Collaborate on Free Food Delivery Deal
Select American Express credit card holders are now eligible for one free year of the Uber Eats “Eats Pass” subscription service.
The standard pricing on an Eats Pass subscription, which touts “unlimited $0 deliveries” through the Uber Eats app, is $9.99 per month. That makes this perk worth approximately $120.
“We’re thrilled to expand our partnership with American Express in the United States to offer Card Members a year of free Eats Pass,” Pierre-Dimitri Gore-Coty, Vice President of Delivery at Uber, said via the press release. “This year people everywhere have come to rely on — and look forward to — food delivery, in a new way. These complimentary Eats Pass memberships will bring the best of Uber Eats to the doorsteps of Card Members —from delicious dine-in from local favorites to grocery delivery and more.”
What Is the Eats Pass?
Eats Pass is a monthly subscription available through the Uber Eats app. Uber Eats is a food delivery service provided by the popular rideshare company Uber.
Here’s what you can expect from the Eats Pass subscription:
- Unlimited “$0 delivery fee” on restaurant orders
- 5% off restaurant orders over $15
- “$0 delivery fee” on grocery deliveries over $30 (available only in select markets)
It is worth noting that the “$0 delivery fee” offer applies only to the fees that Uber Eats would charge for the service. This does not prohibit the individual restaurant or grocery store from attaching a fee to your order.
A few more things you need to know about taking advantage of this offer:
- Enrollment is required by December 31, 2021 to participate
- Taxes and service fees may apply and they do not count toward the order total for purposes of a discount
- The Eats Pass deal is only valid at eligible restaurants.
You can read more about the Eats Pass offer from American Express here.
Which American Express Credit Cards Are Eligible for This Promotion?
The following American Express consumer cards (read: business cards are not included) are eligible for this promotion:
- Platinum Card Members
- Gold Card Members
- Green Card Members
This offer is active now, but American Express says card members must enroll by December 31, 2021, to claim the free year of service.
More Perks Coming for Gold Card Members
American Express also announced that Gold Card members will receive additional Uber perks beginning in 2021:
“The American Express Gold Card will provide Card Members with up to $120 annually ($10/month) in Uber Cash which can be used on Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S. This builds on the Card’s existing benefits which include 4X Membership Rewards at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets on up to $25,000 in eligible purchases per calendar year, 3X Membership Rewards points on eligible airfare, and a $120 (up to $10/month) annual dining credit for spend with select merchants.”
How to Enroll Your Amex Card for the Uber Eats Pass Offer
American Express posted instructions for claiming this deal on its website.
Here’s what you need to do if you have a qualifying Amex credit card:
- Download the latest version of the Uber Eats app to your phone. You can find the app on both the Apple App Store (for iPhone) and the Google Play Store (for Android).
- Add your eligible American Express card as a payment option in the “wallet” on the app. (Note: If your Amex card is already loaded, you can skip this step.)
- Claim the “Free Eats Pass for 12 months” perk as a payment reward
It is worth noting that you can cancel this service at any time.
So if you try it out and don’t like it, American Express has provided the following instructions for getting out of the subscription:
- Tap the Account icon in the bottom menu bar to access your account view.
- Tap “Eats Pass” to open your Eats Pass hub.
- In the hub, scroll down to find the “Auto-Renew” toggle and turn it to “Off.”
- A pop-up will appear asking if you want to turn auto-renew off. Tap “Turn Off” to confirm your cancellation.
These are the steps you’ll need to take at the end of your free year to ensure that you’re not charged $9.99 per month moving forward.
This is a great add-on perk for existing American Express cardholders.
The beauty of it is that it is completely optional and easy to claim. Just remember to cancel before the year-long period is up unless you want to pay for a subscription.
If you’ve been curious about using a food delivery service during the pandemic but have been afraid to try, this is a great way to get your feet wet with a discounted offer.