The coronavirus pandemic has hit the travel industry hard, and the volume of air travel is still way, way down. But one source reports that consumers’ satisfaction with the airlines is actually going up!
An American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) special COVID-19 report examining the state of travel finds that airlines are meeting the needs of customers in several key categories including boarding satisfaction, timeliness and cleanliness.
Report: Southwest Top Airline Among Passengers Right Now
The report is based on surveys conducted with U.S. consumers between April 1 and September 30, 2020. ACSI compares data from that period to the 12 months leading up to March 2020, just about the time many areas of the U.S. started locking down because of the coronavirus.
The report shows that the airline industry has continued to please its customers, which is evident from the overall increase in ACSI scores.
Here are some key findings from the report, which is scored on a 100-point scale:
- Passenger satisfaction with the airline industry as a whole reached a record score of 76, which is a 1.3% gain over its pre-pandemic score.
- Southwest Airlines is tops among customers when it comes to the check-in process and overall value.
- Delta Air Lines rose to second place for the first time since 2004.
Wondering how your favorite airline fared? Let’s look at how passengers ranked the airlines during the first part of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Top Airlines for Customer Satisfaction Amid COVID
|Airlines||April through September 2020||Previous Period % Change|
|Delta Air Lines||79||3%|
Clark wants you to be as safe as possible, which may mean not traveling at all right now. If you do choose to travel, we recommend you follow these recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
If you’re planning to travel by air, you should also make sure you:
- Decide if you need travel insurance
- Keep the airline’s customer service contacts handy
- Know the airline’s cancellation policy
Planning a trip and want to know the best way to save? Here is Clark’s #1 rule for cheap travel.