Our cell phones have become indispensable in this day and age. But every so often we upgrade our cell phone with a new one. In that case, you may be wondering what to do with your old cell phone.
Some people put their old cell phone in their dresser drawer, never to access it again. But if you’re money-minded, you may want to see what you can get for it on the open market.
How to make money selling your cell phone
Pushed by the price of the latest iPhones, some new cell phones have hit the market at more than $1,000 in the past couple of years. Some newish cell phones are going for half of that. If you’re getting a new cell phone, here’s how you can subsidize it by selling your old device.
- Swappa.com, Apple & Android devices, will tell you the latest price an identical item sold for on the site
- Glyde.com will give you an “Instant Cash Quote” and “Quick Pass” to buy your Apple & Android devices
- Gazelle.com allows you to trade in your Apple, Android or BlackBerry phone for cash
- Gizmogul.com lets you sell old phones for cash and donate to charity at the same time
- BuyBackWorld.com lets you sell certified pre-owned electronics with free shipping and free returns
- NextWorth.com will give you a cash quote for phones, games and other gadgets
- Decluttr.com offers “Fast Next Day Payments” when you sell your wares.
Let’s use a black iPhone 7 with 128 gigabytes of storage as our sample device. That model, which debuted in September 2016, remains a hot item today.
On most of these sites you have to go through a series of prompts attesting to the condition of the device before you list it.
Here’s what you can get for your old cell phone 128 gig iPhone 7 on several reselling websites