If your teenage son or daughter has a smartphone, they may be using a series of secret codes to communicate with friends without you or other parents knowing what they’re saying.
Most adults know at least a few of the acronyms, like “LOL” for laughing out loud, “JK” for just kidding and “LY” for love you.
Read more: How to see everything Google knows about you
Teen texting codes revealed
However, other teen texting codes are far more secretive. Bark, a tech company that helps parents monitor their children’s messages for issues like cyber-bullying and sexting, has put together a new list.
Using Bark’s list and another one from NetLingo, we’ve identified some of the most surprising codes.
Before you read through this list, we should let you know that many of the codes refer to either sex or drugs, two things parents of teenagers are naturally concerned about.
Here’s the list of 25 texting codes every parent should know:
- 1174 – Meet at a party spot
- 420 – Marijuana reference
- 53X – Code for sex
- 8 – Code for oral sex
- 99 – Parents are gone
- CU46 – See you for sex
- 9 & CD9 – “Code 9”, parents are around
- GNOC – Get naked on cam
- GYOP – Get your pants off
- IWSN – I want sex now
- KMN – Kill me now
- KMS – Kill myself
- KYS – Kill yourself
- LH6 – Let’s have sex
- MOS – Mom over shoulder
- MPFB – My personal **** buddy
- Netflix and chill – Getting together and hooking up
- NIFOC – Nude in front of computer
- P911 – Parent alert
- PAW – Parents are watching
- PIR – Parent in room
- TDTM – Talk dirty to me
- Thot – Stands for “that hoe over there” and is often used instead of “slut”
- TWD – Texting while driving
- WTTP – Want to trade pics?