The Chromecast with Google TV is a popular streaming device that combines the convenience of Google’s flagship streaming dongle with a flashy remote and its new television streaming platform.
And if you are itching to try it out, Sling TV is giving you a chance to own one. For free.
I recently received a new offer from the popular live TV streaming service in my email inbox, and I wanted to share the details with you.
Read on to find out what you need to do to get your hands on one of these from Sling, find out if you’re eligible for one and to get a little bit more information on Sling’s service and the Google device.
Sling Is Offering a Free Chromecast with Google TV to Select Customers
If you are willing to sign up for one month of Sling’s service, you may be eligible to receive a free Chromecast with Google TV.
I received the following offer in my email inbox on October 26, 2021, and decided to investigate.
On the surface, this seems like a really good deal. After all, it is a $50 streaming device offered as a freebie for committing to one month of a streaming service with subscriptions that start at just $35.
But like any good Team Clark deal-seeker, I clicked that giant “Get This Offer” button on the email promotion to read the fine print and find out all the details.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Existing customers do not qualify for this deal. The fine print says this deal is for new customers and “eligible” former customers. One can reasonably assume the latter means you might be able to get it if you’ve been gone from Sling for a while but not if you recently canceled in an effort to get this freebie. So don’t try that! If you’re a former customer wondering about your eligibility, I suggest asking Sling prior to signing up for the service again.
- You have to prepay for the month of service and activate your Sling subscription before Sling will send you the Chromecast with Google TV. This is important to note if you’re in need of the Chromecast in order to access content on your TV. You may be playing a waiting game until it arrives.
- You can’t combine this offer with other new subscriber discounts. Sling usually has a few offers to lure new customers in, but you can pick only one. Some other offers that were available at the time of this writing were $10 for the first month of service and a free indoor antenna for prepaying for two months of service.
- There is a limit of one free Chromecast with Google TV per Sling TV account.
Should You Consider Signing Up for Sling TV?
Even if this is only a one-month commitment to get the free streaming device, you still may be wondering if Sling is worth your trouble.
Let’s talk more about it.
First, if you’re new to cord-cutting, let me give you a quick summary of what this is:
Sling and competitors like YouTube TV and Hulu + Live TV offer many of the popular television channels traditionally found on cable and satellite via internet streaming on your TV, wireless phone, computer or tablet. We have a full review of the Sling streaming service that should answer many of your questions.
For those who are more experienced with live TV streaming services, you may be wondering how Sling stacks up to some of its competitors when it comes to things like pricing and channel options.
Here’s a quick rundown:
Sling touts three major packages, and they’re all cheaper than many of the top players in this space.
- Sling Blue
- Sling Orange
- Sling Orange + Blue
You can purchase either Blue or Orange as a standalone product for $35 per month. If you’d like the benefits of both, you can buy the combination package (Orange + Blue) for $50 per month.
That combination package is still $15 per month cheaper than the base price of YouTube TV or Hulu + Live TV, so this could be a real money-saving option for some streamers.
Here are the channels each offers:
|Hulu + Live TV ($69.99)||Sling Orange + Blue ($50.00)||Sling TV – Blue ($35.00)||Sling TV – Orange ($35.00)||YouTube TV ($64.99)|
|ABC News Live||ABC News Live|
|ACC Network||ACC Network|
|Adult Swim||Adult Swim|
|Animal Planet||Animal Planet|
|AXS TV||AXS TV||AXS TV|
|BBC America||BBC America||BBC America||BBC America|
|BBC World News|
|Big Ten Network||Big Ten Network|
|Bloomberg TV||Bloomberg TV||Bloomberg TV||Bloomberg TV|
|Cartoon Network||Cartoon Network||Cartoon Network||Cartoon Network||Cartoon Network|
|CBS Sports Network||CBS Sports Network|
|Comedy Central||Comedy Central||Comedy Central||Comedy Central|
|Comet TV||Comet TV||Comet TV||Comet TV|
|Cozi TV||Cozi TV|
|Discovery Channel||Discovery Channel||Discovery Channel||Discovery Channel|
|Disney Channel||Disney Channel||Disney Channel||Disney Channel|
|Disney Junior||Disney Junior|
|Disney XD||Disney XD|
|EPIX Drive-In||EPIX Drive-In||EPIX Drive-In|
|ESPN College Extra|
|Food Network||Food Network||Food Network||Food Network||Food Network|
|FOX Business Network||FOX Business Network|
|FOX News Channel||FOX News Channel||FOX News Channel||FOX News Channel|
|FOX Sports 1||FOX Sports 1||FOX Sports 1||FOX Sports 1|
|FOX Sports 2||FOX Sports 2|
|Game Show Network|
|Golf Channel||Golf Channel|
|Hallmark Movies & Mysteries|
|Investigation Discovery||Investigation Discovery||Investigation Discovery||Investigation Discovery||Investigation Discovery|
|Lifetime Movie Network|
|Local Now||Local Now||Local Now|
|Nat Geo Wild||Nat Geo Wild|
|National Geographic||National Geographic||National Geographic||National Geographic|
|NBC News Now|
|NFL Network||NFL Network||NFL Network||NFL Network|
|Nick Jr.||Nick Jr.||Nick Jr.||Nick Jr.|
|Olympic Channel||Olympic Channel|
|OWN – Oprah Winfrey Network||OWN – Oprah Winfrey Network|
|SEC Network||SEC Network|
|Smithsonian Channel||Smithsonian Channel|
|Start TV||Start TV|
|The CW||The CW|
|Travel Channel||Travel Channel||Travel Channel||Travel Channel||Travel Channel|
|Universal Kids||Universal Kids|
|USA Network||USA Network||USA Network||USA Network|
What Can I Do With a Chromecast with Google TV?
If you’re new to streaming TV, it’s important to note that not all televisions are equipped to stream your favorite services out of the box. That means you may need a streaming dongle, such as the Chromecast with Google TV, Roku Express or Amazon Fire TV Stick, to access your content.
So Sling offering you one of these for free could actually be pretty convenient and a cost-saving measure for you at the same time.
We have a full review of the Chromecast with Google TV to answer most of the questions you may have about the device, but let’s run down some of the basics with this introductory video.
Some popular features included with this streaming dongle that you may want to note:
- This version of the Chromecast comes equipped to stream content in 4K HDR. Of course, in order to enjoy that feature, you both need a TV that can display this resolution and a streaming service that is providing content in 4K HDR.
- There is a voice remote included. This remote, which can also control TV functions such as power and volume, will respond to audible prompts you push the voice button on the remote.
- Google TV allows you to integrate content from several different streaming services into one streaming menu. This can make it easier to search for content, find out what’s new on all of your different subscriptions and get cross-platform recommendations based on the type of content you watch.
More Clark.com Content You May Like: