Dinosaur, pet, and cooking toys are expected to be among the most popular items this holiday shopping season, Toys “R” Us predicted on Wednesday.
Hot toys for Christmas 2015
The company said it spent a year tracking toy purchases across the globe, and found four trends that it says will impact toy-buying this holiday season.
Hit movies like Jurassic World have boosted the popularity of dinosaur-themed items, while a push to encourage exploration and creative thinking have resulted in more toys that focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics, or STEAM.
Life-like pet toys and cooking-themed items are also expected to be big this year, Toys “R” Us said.
“As the world’s leading dedicated toy retailer, Toys“R”Us leverages industry insights, monitors purchase patterns and observes culturally relevant themes to understand what parents and kids gravitate towards each year,” said Richard Barry, Executive Vice President, Global Chief Merchandise Officer, Toys“R”Us, Inc. “Whether it’s cooking up fun pretending to be a chef, caring for a technologically savvy pet or promoting curiosity and learning through play, these trends include some of the hottest new items for the 2015 holiday season.”
Read more: The best battery for your money is…
Here are the company’s predictions for the 2015 holiday shopping season:
Age of the Dinosaurs
Inspired by new, hit movies, including the blockbuster, Jurassic World, and the highly anticipated release of The Good Dinosaur, as well as dinosaur-themed shows such as DINOTRUX, it is Mesozoic mania on toy shelves this holiday season. Kids of all ages will have a roaring good time with dynamic dinosaurs ranging from futuristic prehistoric pals and classic plush to giant multi-playthings and pint-sized dinos. The following creatures are extinct no more:
- DINOTRUX Mega Chompin’™ Ty Rux from Mattel®
- Imaginext® Ultra T-Rex from Fisher-Price®
- Jurassic World Hero Mashers Ultimate TRex from Hasbro®
- Zoomer™Chomplingz from Spin Master™
- Zoomer™Dino Jurassic World Indominus Rex from Spin Master™
Full STEAM Ahead
Play has always stimulated a child’s imagination, but recently toys that inspire interest in STEAM have emerged as one of the most popular trends among parents wanting to introduce the areas of science, technology, engineering, arts and math to children as part of playtime. These unique playthings are dedicated to advancing inquisitiveness while helping to spur strategic and creative thinking:
- Anki OVERDRIVE Starter Kit from Anki™
- Bright Beats Dance & Move BeatBo from Fisher-Price®
- Meccanoid GKS from Spin Master™
- Project Mc2 Dolls from MGA Entertainment
- Smart Toy Bear from Fisher-Price®
Lil’ Sous Chefs in Training
Cooking, baking, grilling, oh my! From pictures on social media to an entire network of celebrity chefs, the kitchen is the popular place to be. Whether emulating the culinary adventures of their moms and dads or pretending to be a cuisine connoisseur, kids can’t wait to tie on an apron and create their own lil’ bites. These crafty, delicious toys help spark imagination while creating personalized playtime experiences – not to mention satisfying a sweet (or salty!) tooth:
- Candy Craft Chocolate Pen from Skyrocket™
- Play-Doh® Cookout Creations from Hasbro®
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pizza Oven from Wicked Cool Toys
- The Real Cotton Candy Maker from Cra-Z-Art®
- Yummy Nummies Mini Kitchen Party Sets from Blip
Pets with Personality
Kids have always found a friend in their favorite stuffed animal and now they are gravitating towards play pets that can interact with them. This year, an abundance of cuddly companions comes equipped with realistic movements and offers all the fun of traditional pets, minus the mess. The following toys are just a few of the playthings kids will be clamoring to adopt into their playroom:
- Chubbie Puppies Mega Set from Spin Master™
- Clever Keet from Moose Toys™
- FurReal Friends JJ, My Jumpin’ Pug from Hasbro®
- Little Live Pets Lil’ Mouse Deluxe Play Trail from Moose Toys™
- Zoomer Whiskers from Spin Master™
For more money-saving advice, see our Shopping & Retail section.