The grocery store price wars are about to get a lot more interesting!
Lidl, the German discount grocery store chain, is opening its first 10 locations in the United States on June 15 — and the retailer is likely to disrupt the entire industry.
By next summer, Lidl hopes to have up to 100 locations open along the East Coast.
How much lower will Lidl’s prices be?
Money expert Clark Howard is already familiar with Lidl. The company has 10,000 stores in 27 countries throughout Europe. It’s known for selling high quality goods at low prices.
Like Aldi, many of Lidl’s most popular products are from its own private label.
“It’s the perfect combination of low prices and a very pleasing environment,” Clark said. “It’s a bit of Aldi, a bit of Trader Joe’s and a bit of Whole Foods all mixed together in one.”
Ahead of opening its first 10 U.S. locations, Lidl has released a 32-page weekly ad. In addition to grand opening specials on food items, there are deals on plenty of non-grocery items.
Here are some of the best deals from the June 15-June 21 circular:
- Chicken breasts: $1.29/pound
- Pork tenderloin: $2.49/pound
- Yellow peaches: $0.89/pound
- Large seedless watermelon: $2.49 each
- Tomatoes on the vine: $0.89/pound
- Pineapple: $0.89 each
- Greek yogurt: $0.50 each
- Vanilla ice cream, 48 oz.: $1.99
- Butter croissant: $0.39 each
- Donuts: $0.33 each
- Ground coffee, 30.5 oz.: $3.75
- Peanut butter, 18 oz.: $1.19
- Chocolate bars: $0.79 each
- Frozen pizza, 14 oz.: $2.99
- Spaghetti, 16 oz.: $0.99
- Olive oil, 25 oz.: $3.99
- Skipper’s Knot California Chardonnay: $3.79
- 22” kettle grill: $19.99
- Insulated bottle: $3.99
- Parkside pressure washer: $99.99
- Men’s leather shoes: $34.99
- Ladies’ seamless leggings: $9.99
- Men’s athletic shorts: $7.99
- Vacuum sealer: $29.99
- Smoothie maker: $12.99
“Lidl will offer a simple and efficient approach to grocery shopping, which will mean huge savings for Lidl shoppers,” the company said in a news release. “When shopping at Lidl, customers can expect to get top quality goods and groceries at up to 50 percent less than other supermarkets in the United States.”
To view the entire ad, visit the specials section of Lidl’s website.
These are the Lidl locations opening June 15:
4050 W Vernon Ave
1800 East Fire Tower Rd
3209 NC 87 South
Rocky Mount, NC
940 N Wesleyan Blvd
3520 Raleigh Rd Parkway West
3315 Sides Branch Rd
8180 Warren H Abernathy Hwy
2037 Wade Hampton Boulevard
Virginia Beach, VA
6196 Providence Rd
2000 W Mercury Blvd