Clark Howard: Requesting a credit report for a minor child


Requesting a credit report for a minor child

How do I request a credit report for a child under 13 years of age?

The credit reporting agencies do not knowingly maintain credit files on minor children. If you suspect that your minor child’s information has been used fraudulently, you should contact the credit reporting agencies directly and report the illegal use of your child’s information to law enforcement.

Please supply each credit reporting agency with your child’s complete name, address, date of birth and a copy of the minor child’s birth certificate and social security card. Additionally, please provide a copy of your driver’s license or other government-issued proof of your identity, which includes your current address, and a current utility bill containing your current address so the credit reporting agencies may promptly respond to your request.

The addresses for the credit reporting agencies are listed below:

P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, Georgia 30374

P.O. Box 9532
Allen, Texas 75013

P.O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92834