Are you in need of a lost Social Security card replacement? Now, it’s easy to do online in all but a small handful of states.
Lost Social Security card replacements are available online
Did you lose your Social Security card years ago and want to get a replacement? The Social Security Administration (SSA) has helped 1 million people get Social Security card replacements, according to the latest numbers.
Here’s how to join their ranks:
1. Sign up for a mySocialSecurity account
The first thing to do before you can request a new card is to sign up for your free mySocialSecurity account, if you haven’t done so already.
To sign up, you’ll need:
- A valid email address
- Social Security number
- U.S. mailing address
- And to be at least 18 years of age
TIP: You may want to read our 6 things to know before setting up your free mySocialSecurity account article prior to getting started.
Once you’re signed up, there are a couple things to be aware of before you request your lost Social Security card replacement:
- You can’t request a name change or any other change to your replacement card.
- You’ll need to have a driver’s license or state-issued identification card from a participating state.
2. See if your state is on the list
You can request a lost Social Security card replacement online in a majority of states* and the District of Columbia. In fact, as of August 2019, the only states where you can’t request a replacement card online are:
- New Hampshire
- West Virginia
Fortunately, the SSA is always seeking to expand this online replacement service to more states. So hopefully it’s only a matter of time before those states come on board, too. Check back periodically to see when this service is available if your state in on this list.
Meanwhile, if you live in any of our nation’s 40 other states, you’re already good to go!
* This service is available only if you have a driver’s license in Delaware and Wisconsin.
3. Complete the online application
Once you determine that you can get your replacement card online, you just need to begin the free application process.
You can do so at SSA.gov/SSNumber.
4. Not able to request a replacement card online in your state?
If you live in one of the 10 states where you still can’t request a lost Social Security card replacement, you’ll need to do the paperwork process manually. Follow these instructions:
- View the document requirements here.
- Complete your application and print it out here.
- Find your local Social Security office and return the application and documents here.
The process to request a lost Social Security card is pretty straightforward. It probably won’t be long until you can do this online regardless of where you live.
Meanwhile, we’ve got advice of the question of when to claim your Social Security here.