Bad news for Sam’s Club members! The Walmart-owned warehouse club is abruptly closing multiple locations across the country, according to local media reports.
The retailer has confirmed that 63 clubs are closing and up to 12 of them will be converted to e-commerce fulfillment centers.
Sam’s Club closing some locations across the country
“Transforming our business means managing our real estate portfolio and Walmart needs a strong fleet of Sam’s Clubs that are fit for the future,” said John Furner, president and CEO of Sam’s Club. “We know this is difficult news for our associates and we are working to place as many of them as possible at nearby locations. Our focus today has been on those associates and their communities, and communicating with them.”
After a thorough review of our existing portfolio, we’ve decided to close a series of clubs and better align our locations with our strategy. Closing clubs is never easy and we’re committed to working with impacted members and associates through this transition.
— Sam's Club (@SamsClub) January 11, 2018
Walmart said the impacted clubs will close over the next few weeks, leaving 597 Sam’s Club locations.
Several people have used Twitter to ask for an official list of the stores that are going away. Sam’s Club has replied by directing them to the store locator tool on SamsClub.com.
Clubs that are being shut down no longer show up on the website, including the locations listed below.
you can go to https://t.co/7EJ7euyhoL to see open clubs near you. If a club is on that list, it will not be closing. Thank you.
— Sam's Club (@SamsClub) January 11, 2018
Here’s a list of closing Sam’s Club locations, based on local media reports:
- 8801 Old Seward Hwy, Anchorage, AK
- 1074 N Muldoon Rd, Anchorage, AK
- 48 College Rd, Fairbanks, AK
- 3900 Grants Mill Rd, Irondale, AL
- 2425 E Florence Blvd, Casa Grande, AZ
- 5757 E State Route 69, Prescott Valley, AZ
- 1375 S Arizona Ave, Chandler, AZ
- 15255 N Northsight Blvd, Scottsdale, AZ
- 3360 El Camino Ave, Sacramento, CA
- 17835 Gale Ave, City of Industry, CA
- 12540 Beach Blvd, Stanton, CA
- 12920 Foothill Blvd, Sylmar, CA
- 69 Pavilions Dr, Manchester, CT
- 2 Boston Post Rd, Orange, CT
- 355 FL-436, Fern Park, FL
- 7233 N Seacrest Blvd, Lantana, FL
- 5135 S Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL
- 2994 Turner Hill Rd, Lithonia, GA
- 501 N Randall Rd, Batavia, IL
- 21430 S Cicero Ave, Matteson, IL
- 6600 44th Ave, Moline, IL
- 808 S Illinois Rte 59, Naperville, IL
- 460 S Weber Rd, Romeoville, IL
- 900 S Barrington Rd, Streamwood, IL
- 1055 McHenry Rd, Wheeling, IL
- 4024 Elkhart Rd #1, Goshen, IN
- 3015 W 86th St, Indianapolis, IN
- 10859 E Washington St, Indianapolis, IN
- 9598 Cortana Pl, Baton Rouge, LA
- 1 Tobias Boland Way, Worcester, MA
- 9750 Reisterstown Rd, Owings Mills, MD
- 340 E. Edgewood Boulevard, Lansing, MI
- 32625 Northwestern Hwy, Farmington Hills, MI
- 2800 27th Ave S, Moorhead, MN
- 3745 Louisiana Ave S, St Louis Park, MN
- 11 Batchelder Rd, Seabrook, NH
- 81 International Dr S, Budd Lake, NJ
- 1900 E Linden Ave, Linden, NJ
- 301 Nassau Park Boulevard, Princeton, NJ
- 2649 Erie Blvd E, Syracuse, NY
- 720 Fairmount Ave, Jamestown, NY
- 700 Elmridge Center Dr, Rochester, NY
- 1600 Marketplace Dr, Rochester, NY
- 5085 Dawn Dr, Lumberton, NC
- 1101 Shiloh Glenn Dr, Morrisville, NC
- 4825 Marburg Ave, Cincinnati, OH
- 9570 Fields Ertel Rd, Loveland, OH
- 1805 Getwell Road, Memphis, TN
- 615 Old Hickory Blvd, Nashville, TN
- 1615 S Loop W, Houston, TX
- 22296 Market Place Dr, New Caney, TX
- 12919 San Pedro Ave, San Antonio, TX
- 741 E Little Creek Rd, Norfolk, VA
- 4571 S Laburnum Ave, Richmond, VA
- 1101 Outlet Collection Way, Auburn, WA
- 901 S Grady Way, Renton, WA
- 13550 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA
- 7050 Watts Road, Madison, WI
- 1540 S 108th St, West Allis, WI
FOX 13 in Memphis reports that employees were called in for a meeting January 11 and told the store was closing. Associates were apparently caught by surprise — and so were customers.
A sign on the door read, “Sam’s Club is CLOSED today. We regret any inconvenience.”
Walmart said Thursday that it’s boosting its starting salary for U.S. workers to $11 an hour — which includes Sam’s Club employees —and giving a one-time cash bonus of up to $1,000 to eligible employees.
Word of the Sam’s Club closures began to spread shortly after Walmart made that announcement.
In a news release, Walmart said affected Sam’s Club associates will receive 60 days of pay, as well as severance to those eligible. They’ll also get the one-time bonus.
Here are more details on our wage increases: pic.twitter.com/wca1KjDEUy
— Walmart Inc. (@WalmartInc) January 11, 2018
One important note: Sam’s Club will refund your membership fee if you’re not completely satisfied! To request a refund, visit the membership cancellation page or call 1-888-746-7726.
[anvplayer video=”4116277″ station=”998267″]