The weather isn’t the only thing warming up around the United States, the real estate market is starting to heat up as well. But when is the best time to sell your home quickly and for the most money?
When to list your home to make the most money
According to a new report from Realtor.com, the best time to list your home is the first week of April. Although June is considered the peak of home buying season, the first week of April is the best time to maximize list price. Here are a few of the benefits:
U.S. homes listed in the first week of April had 14% more views online
Homes listed during that time also sell six days faster than others
Those homes sold for nearly 6% higher and about $17,000 more than a typical listing
While other popular real estate database sites, like Zillow, report May as the best month to list a house, it’s clear spring is the ideal season to get the most money for your home.
Best time to list for top 20 largest U.S. metros
- New York-Newark-Jersey City, N.Y.-N.J.-Pa.: 3/31/2019
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, Calif.: 4/14/2019
- Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, Ill.-Ind.-Wis.: 3/31/2019
- Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, Texas: 3/31/2019
- Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, Texas: 3/24/2019
- Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, Pa.-N.J.-Del.-Md.: 3/31/2019
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-Va.-Md.-W. Va.: 3/24/2019
- Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, Fla.: 8/4/2019
- Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, Ga.: 4/7/2019
- Boston-Cambridge-Newton, Mass.-N.H.: 4/14/2019
- San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, Calif.: 3/24/2019
- Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, Mich.: 4/21/2019
- Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, Ariz.: 6/9/2019
- Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, Wash.: 4/7/2019
- Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Minn.-Wis.: 3/24/2019
- Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif.: 6/2/2019
- Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Fla.: 6/9/2019
- San Diego-Carlsbad, Calif.: 2/24/2019
- St. Louis, Mo.-Ill.: 3/31/2019
- Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, Colo.: 3/10/2019
See the full list here.
Here are some things to do to spruce up your home
Here is a short ”to-do” list that will give your home a boost before you put it on the market:
Go for curb appeal: The first impression your home makes from the outside may be the biggest, so a fresh coat of paint can go a long way. Pressure-washing the driveway or even the sidewalk in front of your home can also make a difference.
Basic landscaping: A freshly cut lawn and modest landscaping can make your home stand out — and don’t forget the backyard.
Pick the right color: You may think the best color for selling your home is subjective but leading home decorators agree that shades of white and off-white are at the top. A recent Zillow analysis found that the right door color can put an extra $6,000 in your wallet.
Choose the right room: Zillow says bathroom upgrades tend to make the biggest impact on buyers, but don’t go overboard. Keep your toilet and fixtures in the mid-range level. Interestingly, major kitchen renovations were a turnoff to many buyers who prefer their own unique styles, brands and designs.
Clark’s take on the best time for home buyers
Money expert Clark Howard has another take for those looking to buy homes that have been on the market for a long time.
“Older listings that have sat on the market can be a real deal for buyers once they hit November 1,” Clark says. “That’s because sellers tend to capitulate particularly if they’re still on the market around the holidays. They become ‘motivated sellers’ in the terminology of the industry.”