A Missouri doctor has a warning for anyone who’s about to light up. Their next candle that is.
Andrew Sledd, a pediatrician with a specialty in Environmental Toxicology, told KFVS12 that one hour of scented candle burning can be the equivalent of smoking a single cigarette.
Read more: Top-rated side jobs to make extra cash
Hidden danger in your home?
Soot from candles can also pose a real threat to our respiratory systems, he said. The contents of which are made of zinc, tin and lead and spread easily from candles due to no filter.
Wax workers have nothing to worry about however, the doctor said, nor do fans of soy and beeswax candles, according to the EPA.
One user said the news was enough for him to abandon candles.