Family issues warning after dog dies from eating Christmas ornament

|
Advertisement

One family is mourning the loss of a beloved pet after she ingested a Christmas ornament.

Lexi, a 2-1/2-old dog, snuck downstairs Tuesday morning and ate an ornament made out of salt dough. Her owners, couple Larry and Hope Pospisil, made the ornament with their daughter, Alice, for the holidays.

Ornament contained element toxic to pets

It appears the salt content in the ornament is what made Lexi so sick. It is toxic to cats and dogs, according to the Pet Poison Helpline.

In a Facebook post, Hope Pospisil said,’when we got home around 5 P.M., she peed [in] her kennel and was shaking uncontrollably. She couldn’t even make it back up the stairs, as she fell backwards. We immediately took her to the vet and we had only two options because her body temp was 107 and already caused neurological damage.’ In his own post, her husband, Larry, added that Lexi ‘was constantly seizing in her kennel and urinating and foaming at the mouth.’

Advertisement

The family made the difficult decision to have Lexi humanely euthanized, according to the Examiner.

Hope Pospisil shared the devastating news ‘as a warning to everyone.’ Following the post, the family has received an outpouring of support. In response, Hope said,“I’m so happy that Lexi is being a voice for all other dogs that could have had the same outcome.”

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, below are some tips to help you keep your pets safe this holiday season.

Holiday pet safety tips:

  • Christmas tree: Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn’t tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. This will also prevent the tree water—which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset—from spilling. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea should he imbibe.
     
  • Avoid mistletoe & holly: Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet.
     
  • Tinsel-less town: Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching ‘toy’ that’s easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It’s best to brighten your boughs with something other than tinsel.
     
  • Holiday lights: Don’t leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Be sure to use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. And if you leave the room, put the candle out!
     
  • Wired Up: Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth and digestive tract.


Advertisement
  • Show Comments Hide Comments