A Georgia woman’s Samsung washing machine exploded, and now the government is warning everyone to be aware of the danger.
Melissa Thaxton was in her Paulding County home in April when something went wrong with her washing machine.
Warning issued about exploding washing machines
‘All of the sudden, without warning, the washing machine just exploded, and it was the loudest sound. It sounded like a bomb went off in my ear,’ Thaxton said. ‘There were wires, nuts – the actual top was laying on the floor.’
Thaxton said her 4-year-old son, Luke, was next to her.
A North Carolina mom said her 2-month-old top-loading Samsung washing machine flew apart, too.
According to ABC News, 21 people reported to the Consumer Product Safety Commission that their top-loading Samsung washing machines exploded or were blown apart since early last year.
Thaxton and several others are suing Samsung. Their lawyer argues that a support rod can become unfastened during the spin cycle.
Samsung released the following statement: ‘In rare cases, affected units may experience abnormal vibrations that could pose a risk of personal injury or property damage when washing bedding, bulky or water-resistant items.’
Samsung also said the washers have handled hundreds of millions of loads with no problem.
Samsung and the CPSC are advising people to only use the delicate cycle while washing bulky items.
Read more: How to avoid buying fake laundry detergent