One thing that people who are stuck with no place to go during the coronavirus pandemic can do is make improvements to their homes. Perhaps that’s one of the reasons why Lowe’s has announced it is looking to hire 30,000 people right now.
Interested in applying at Lowe’s? Here’s a look at what kind of jobs are available, and what you need to know about working there.
What You Need to Know About Working for Lowe’s
Lowe’s employs more than 300,000 people across the U.S. and Canada. If you’re thinking about joining the company, keep these things in mind.
1. What Kinds of Jobs Are Available at Lowe’s Right Now?
Currently, Lowe’s is showcasing a variety of seasonal jobs, in addition to permanent positions. They include:
Many seasonal jobs with Lowe’s eventually turn into careers, according to the company.
Of course, jobs can be filled and new opportunities can open up at any time. Be sure to check back often if you don’t see what you’re looking for at first.
2. What Are the Requirements for Working at Lowe’s?
While the specific requirements for getting a job at Lowe’s will depend on the position you apply for, the one rule that applies company-wide is that you must be at least 18 years old, according to job-applications.com.
Other common requirements include:
- The ability to perform tasks that may require prolonged standing, sitting, and other activities necessary to perform job duties
- The ability to lift 25 pounds without assistance or over 25 pounds with or without assistance
- The ability to read, write, and perform basic arithmetic (addition, subtraction)
3. How Quickly Could I Expect to Be Hired?
According to one forum post at jobs site LiveCareer, the hiring process at Lowe’s “typically includes two or more interviews, an aptitude test, background check, and drug test.”
While that poster indicates that it can take as long as two months to complete that process, another says: “Qualified applicants for front-line jobs are often hired in approximately two weeks.”
So, the amount of time it takes to be hired with the company will likely be tied in large part to what kind of position you apply for.
4. How Much Do Jobs at Lowe’s Pay?
According to jobs site Indeed, average pay for retail positions at Lowe’s ranges from around $11 an hour for Cashier/Clerks to upward of $20 an hour for store management and supervisory positions.
The company also says it issued bonuses of $150 to part-time employees and $300 to full-time workers on March 31, so there are opportunities to make money in addition to your regular pay.
5. What Other Benefits Does Lowe’s Offer?
According to Lowe’s, the company offers its full-time and part-time associates:
- Health, Dental and Vision plans
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Paid Vacation/Sick Pay
- Dependent Care Resources
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Store Discounts
The company also touts several learning and development programs for its employees, including:
- Discounted Online University Programs (Kaplan, Strayer & Capella Universities)
- Scholarship Programs
- Certified Continuing Professional Education Courses
- A Track to the Trades Program that can lead to certifications in a skilled trades career