If you’re looking for full- or part-time work during the holidays, one of America’s largest home improvement chains may have a job for you. Lowe’s says it is looking to hire 20,000 people right now.
Interested in applying at Lowe’s? Here’s a look at what kind of jobs are available at Lowe’s stores and regional distribution centers, and what you need to know about working there.
What You Need to Know About Working for Lowe’s
Lowe’s employs more than 300,000 people across the U.S. and Canada. If you’re thinking about joining the company, keep these things in mind.
1. What Kinds of Jobs Are Available at Lowe’s Right Now?
Lowe’s has a variety of seasonal jobs and permanent positions open. They include:
Many seasonal jobs with Lowe’s eventually turn into career positions according to the company.
Be sure to check back often if you don’t see what you’re looking for at first.
2. What Are the Requirements for Working at Lowe’s?
While the specific requirements for getting a job at Lowe’s will depend on the position you apply for, common requirements include:
- The ability to perform tasks that may require prolonged standing, sitting, and other activities necessary to perform job duties.
- The ability to lift 25 pounds without assistance or over 25 pounds with or without assistance.
- The ability to read, write, and perform basic arithmetic (addition, subtraction).
3. How Quickly Could I Expect to Be Hired?
According to one forum post at jobs site LiveCareer, the hiring process at Lowe’s “typically includes two or more interviews, an aptitude test, background check, and drug test.”
While that poster indicates that it can take as long as two months to complete that process, another says: “Qualified applicants for front-line jobs are often hired in approximately two weeks.”
The amount of time it takes to be hired with the company will likely be tied in large part to what kind of position you apply for.
4. How Much Do Jobs at Lowe’s Pay?
According to jobs site Indeed, average pay for retail positions at Lowe’s ranges from around $12 an hour for cashier/clerks to more than $20 an hour and up for store management and supervisory positions.
In October 2020, the company announced a sixth round of pandemic-related bonuses of $150 to part-time employees and $300 to full-time workers, so there are opportunities, at least right now, to make money in addition to your regular pay.
5. What Other Benefits Does Lowe’s Offer?
According to Lowe’s, the company offers its full-time and part-time associates:
- Health, Dental and Vision plans
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Paid Vacation/Sick Pay
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Store Discounts
The company also touts several learning and development programs for its employees including:
- Discounted Online University Programs (Kaplan, Strayer & Capella Universities)
- Scholarship Programs
- Track to the Trades Program that can lead to certifications in skilled trades