With the U.S. weekly jobless claims falling to a 50-year low, this is a great time to be looking for work — because chances are you’re likely to find it.
Recently, three big businesses announced huge hiring plans that will see them add tens of thousands of new workers to the payroll in 2019.
RELATED: The 25 best jobs in America for 2019
See who’s hiring in a big way in 2019
Ready to start the new year with a new job? These retailers are hiring in a big way in 2019!
Progressive: 10,000+ employees
The insurance giant is looking to staff up with an additional headcount of more than 10,000 new employees in 2019.
The hiring will largely be clustered in six markets:
- Austin, TX – 1,000 positions (customer service, sales, claims representatives, bilingual Spanish sales and customer service)
- Cleveland, OH – 2,000 positions (customer service, sales, multi-product sales, claims representatives, marketing, legal, IT, business analysis and more)
- Colorado Springs, CO – 1,100 positions (customer service, sales, IT)
- Phoenix, AZ – 375 positions (customer service, sales, bilingual Spanish customer service and sales, claims representatives)
- Sacramento, CA – 380 positions (customer service, bilingual Spanish customer service and sales)
- Tampa, FL – 1,500 positions (customer service, sales, multi-product sales, claims representatives, bilingual Spanish sales and customer service)
The remainder of the available work will be in field offices at more than 250 locations across the country. In addition, Progressive says you should keep your eye out for more work-at-home jobs in 2019.
“There will also be work-from-home positions available in select locations for inbound sales positions, giving people who don’t live near a Progressive campus the opportunity to help customers from the comfort of their home,” the company notes in a press release.
To learn more about Progressive or apply for a position, visit Progressive.com/careers.
Walmart: 2,000 tech jobs
The mega-retailer is looking to fill 2,000 high-paying jobs this year at Walmart Labs locations, which is the company’s in-house technology division.
The hiring will take place at all of the store’s domestic Walmart Labs:
- Bentonville, AR
- Carlsbad, CA
- San Bruno, CA
- Sunnyvale, CA
- Hoboken, NJ
- Portland, OR
- Reston, VA
“Walmart Labs, the technology arm that powers Walmart U.S. stores and eCommerce, is looking to hire 2,000 more technologists this year,” the company notes in a statement.
“The hiring is across our 9 Walmart Labs sites – including Bentonville, AR – and includes roles such as data scientists, software engineers, designers, product manager, and others.”
You can visit Careers.Walmart.com to apply.
Lowe’s – 65,000 jobs
The home improvement retailer is adding the most headcount of all — a whopping 65,000 new employees in 2019!
The usual hiring of seasonal associates will account for about 50,000 of those positions, according to a press release. But in addition, Lowe’s also will be doing the following hiring:
- 10,000 permanent positions in merchandising support
- 6,000 full-time assistant store manager and department supervisor roles
- 2,000 technology roles such as software engineers, data scientists and other digital positions
No specific word on which metro areas the hiring will be clustered in. It’s probably safe to say it will probably be across all of the chain’s more than 2,240 home improvement and hardware stores.
For career opportunities at Lowe’s, visit Lowes.com/careers.