Are you looking for a way to get a free Amazon Prime subscription? Navy Federal Credit Union may have your answer.
Navy Federal says that both new and existing credit card members are eligible for the free subscription, which is valued at $119.
To receive the free year, you must either sign up for or renew an annual Amazon Prime membership using the Flagship Rewards credit card as the payment method. Navy Federal says it will issue a statement credit to cover the expense, 6-8 weeks after you pay for the membership.
Here’s the fine print on the offer, which runs through September 2021:
Offer applies only to annual Amazon Prime membership. Not valid for recurring membership monthly payment option. Must be an annual membership. Annual membership must be purchased as a one-time payment between 9/1/20 and 9/30/21. Limit of one promotional offer per card. Only valid for Flagship Rewards credit cards. Please allow 6-8 weeks after the membership is renewed or opened for the statement credit to post to your account. Navy Federal reserves the right to end or modify this offer at any time without notice.
More About the Visa Signature® Flagship Rewards Credit Card
Beyond the free year of Amazon Prime, here are some things you’ll want to know about this rewards credit card:
- There is an annual fee. You’re going to have to pay $49 per year for this card, but keep reading. There are some perks that could make it worth your while beyond the free year of Amazon Prime.
- Navy Federal will reimburse you for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck. You can get a statement credit as reimbursement for one of these two popular travel products. According to the card’s fine print, a statement credit of either $100 (Global Entry) or $85 (TSA PreCheck) will be processed after the application is charged to your Visa Signature Flagship Rewards Card. Whichever is charged first is the one for which you’ll be reimbursed.
- This card is really customer-friendly when it comes to fees. One of the things that really stood out to me about this card is the lack of fees that are popular with other credit card issuers. Navy Federal does not charge fees for balance transfers, foreign transactions or cash advances. You’ll still owe interest on balances accrued with these transactions, but it’s nice that they don’t ding you on the front end.
- The Flagship Rewards program can add up quickly. This rewards card is built upon a points multiplier system that can earn you cash, merchandise or gift cards. This card rewards travel purchases the most, giving 3 points for every $1 in purchases. All other purchases are eligible for 2 points for every $1 spent.
You can read the full brochure of benefits for the Flagship Rewards card here.
More About Amazon Prime Membership
If you’re not familiar with Amazon Prime, it’s the online retail giant’s subscription service that offers deals on purchases, shipping perks, video and audio content and much more.
Here’s a quick rundown of some perks you receive from Amazon with this subscription:
- Free two-day shipping and same-day delivery: If an item is marked as eligible for Prime on the product page, you’re likely to receive free two-day shipping. And depending on your location, you may also qualify for Amazon’s free same-day delivery service on select items.
- Exclusive deals and pricing: Prime members receive access to special pricing on subscription items like baby food or diapers, as well as flash sales that are accessible only with the subscription.
- Prime Video subscription: Amazon has an extensive library of movie and television content that is available to stream on TV, tablet, computer or phone as a part of this subscription. This includes access to Amazon originals, such as Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
- Unlimited photo storage: Prime Photos allows you to save all of your treasured images without worrying about running out of space. These photos can be easily sorted and searched by date, location, etc.
How to Become a Member of Navy Federal Credit Union
To apply for this credit card, you must first be a member of Navy Federal Credit Union. Even if you’re not an active member of the United States military, you may still be eligible.
Here’s a quick look at who qualifies for membership with the credit union:
- Active members of the U.S. Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard and Space Force
- Veterans, retirees and annuitants of the above services
- Members of the U.S. Armed Forces’ Delayed Entry Program (DEP)
Military Family Members
Navy Federal extends its membership offer to “direct” family members of military personnel, which it defines as:
- Children (adopted and stepchildren included)
- Household members
Department of Defense Personnel
- Department of Defense (DoD) Officer Candidates and Reservists
- DoD civilian employees
- United States Government employees assigned to Department of Defense
- Contractors for the Department of Defense
- Retirees and annuitants
To apply for membership you’ll need to provide a Social Security number, government-issued ID and current home address. If you qualify, you’ll be required to make an initial deposit from an existing bank account to your credit union account. Note that Navy Federal requires $1,500 funds on deposit to avoid a $10 monthly fee on the checking account.
Money expert Clark Howard advises against signing up for a credit card based solely on a welcome bonus, but this is a nice perk for people who were already considering adding a rewards credit card to their wallet.
Clark does not carry the Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card in his wallet, but he is a Navy Federal Credit Union member who carries the Navy Federal Credit Union cashRewards for its unlimited cash back rewards.
If you are looking for a credit card that doesn’t hit you with exorbitant fees, rewards travel and can get you a free Global Entry or TSA PreCheck membership, the Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card could be a fit for you.