If you are an American Express cardholder, you may have some new perks to enjoy over the coming months.
The credit card giant on May 1, 2020, announced it was rolling out a new package of perks geared toward rewarding the stay-at-home sensibilities needed during the coronavirus pandemic.
The new benefits, although temporary, will reward both consumer and business cardholders for using their Amex cards to buy things like streaming entertainment, wireless services, stay-at-home dining and work-from-home essentials.
American Express says there is no action necessary to enroll for these temporary benefits, and these perks are in addition to benefits already in place with your card. Just read the fine print on select cards and spend accordingly.
Do these new changes affect the Amex card in your wallet? Here are the details:
Amex Credit Cards Getting New Streaming and Wireless Perks
As Americans spend more time at home, things like reliable streaming services and good wireless internet and phone connections become an increasingly large part of our daily lives.
American Express is recognizing that by offering cardholders a chance to earn up to $320 in statement credits if they’re willing to pay those bills with their Amex cards in the coming months.
Streaming and Wireless Perks
- Platinum Consumer Cards: You can earn up to $320 in statement credits on select streaming and wireless telephone services if you pay with your Platinum card directly through the service provider. The deal is good from now through December 2020. You are limited to $20 in statement credit per service per month.
It’s also worth noting that existing benefits for Amex cards, such as the 6% you can earn with the Blue Cash Preferred, still apply for streaming purchases.
If you’re looking for a new streaming service to fill your downtime during the pandemic, Team Clark can help you stretch your dollar even more in conjunction with this new Amex benefit. Check out our guides for live streaming TV, subscription video streaming services and even free streaming TV options.
Wireless Perks Only
- Business Platinum Cards: You can earn up to $320 in statement credits on select wireless telephone services if you buy them directly through the service provider with the Amex card. The deal runs from May through December.
- Green Consumer Cards: You can earn up to $80 in statement credits on wireless service bills. This deal, which is also good through the end of the year, is capped at $10 in statement credit per service per month.
While you’re considering using your Amex card for savings on your wireless bill, you may also want to check to make sure you’re getting the best possible deal on your cell phone service plan.
Team Clark has a great guide on finding the best cell phone plans right now.
Amex Credit Cards Getting New Stay-at-Home Dining Perks
Whether it’s buying in bulk at U.S. supermarkets or making more takeout orders from your favorite local restaurant, chances are pretty good that your dining habits have changed amid the coronavirus pandemic.
That’s why American Express made this a focal point of its new benefits, particularly for travel cardholders who have decreased spending on things like hotels and airline tickets.
Amex is clearly hoping to incentivize those travel cardholders to spend by offering the following food-related perks:
U.S. Supermarket Perks
- Delta SkyMiles Reserve, Platinum, Gold and Blue Consumer Cards: Spending at qualified U.S. supermarkets (note: warehouse stores and superstores do not apply) will earn 4x miles from May 1 through July 31, 2020.
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card: You can earn 6x Marriott Bonvoy points (same rate of points advertised for a hotel stay) on up to $7,500 in eligible supermarket purchases between May 1 and July 31.
- Hilton Surpass and Aspire Cards: You can earn 12x Hilton Honors Bonus Points on eligible supermarket purchases between May 1 and July 31. Amex notes that these points do count toward Elite tier and Lifetime Diamond qualifications with Hilton’s rewards program.
U.S. Restaurant Perks
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card: You can earn up to $300 in statement credits on eligible restaurant purchases (takeout and delivery included) from June 1 until August 31, 2020.
- Hilton Aspire Cards: You can earn a $250 Hilton resort credit with eligible restaurant purchases (takeout and delivery included) from June 1 to August 31.
Amex Credit Cards Getting New Work-from-Home Perks
American Express did not forget its business card customers in this benefits update.
Knowing that many small businesses have been forced to operate from home, Amex is targeting some spending areas that could impact business cardholders during the COVID-19 mitigation process:
- Business Platinum Cards: In addition to the above-mentioned $320 wireless service statement credit, you also can earn up to a $400 statement credit on qualified purchases with Dell Technologies. (This is an additional $200 opportunity on top of the existing $200 benefit through the existing Shop Dell program.)
- Amex recently launched a “Stand for Small” campaign and has made templates and resources available to business card holders for free at ShopSmall.com.
- Business cardholders with restaurants will be able to access American Express’ subsidiary product ResyOS with all fees waived through December 2020.
Anna Marrs, who serves as president of Global Commercial Services at American Express, offered the following explanation on the change in policy for business cards:
“We have a long-standing commitment to supporting businesses of all sizes, and American Express’ backing is especially important now as business owners face unprecedented challenges. The impacts of COVID-19 are affecting more than 60% of the small and mid-size businesses in the U.S., and 65% of business owners are looking for help on business expenses. To help address their needs, we’re providing new solutions and offers for our customers.”