McDonald’s is halting the sale of salads at 3,000 restaurants after 100 cases of a parasitic outbreak were linked to eating its salads.
Cyclosporiasis cases tied to lettuce in McDonald’s salads
On July 12, the Illinois Department of Public Health issued a press release saying it had launched an investigation into foodborne illnesses in McDonald’s salads after receiving reports of 90 customers being sickened following consumption. Another handful of cases were also reported in neighboring Iowa.
The cause was determined to be Cyclosporiasis, with its hallmark symptoms of frequent watery diarrhea; loss of appetite and weight; cramping, bloating and/or increased gas; nausea; fatigue and low-grade fever.
By July 13, McDonald’s announced it would pull the salads from stores throughout the Midwest.
“Out of an abundance of caution, we decided to voluntarily stop selling salads at impacted restaurants until we can switch to another lettuce blend supplier,” the company said in a statement.
The 3,000 restaurants from which the salads are being removed are located in these states:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
This parasitic outbreak comes on the heels of more than 200 people being sickened throughout the Midwest after eating Del Monte vegetable trays also contaminated with the Cyclospora parasite.
More recall stories on Clark.com:
- UPDATE: 27 more people sickened by Kellogg’s Honey Smacks cereal, retailers still selling it
- Hormel recalls 220,000 pounds of Spam and other canned meats
- Recall alert: Nearly 5M Jeep, Ram, Chrysler and Dodge vehicles may have cruise control defect