Many of us are aware of the need to review our credit reports from Experian, TransUnion and Equifax every year. But not as many know about the importance of checking out our other consumer files, as well.
Private companies compile background screening reports on you that may be pulled in order to assess you for a number of activities, like when you apply for a job, lease a vehicle, rent an apartment and even take out an insurance policy. As creepy as this may sound, you have a right to see these reports that contain your personal information.
Employment, banking and more: How to request different reports on you
Employment screening report
- How to pull your report: IntelliCorp screens prospective job candidates for companies. Go to Intellicorp.net and request a report or call 866-202-1436. Another screening firm is HireRight.com. Call them at 866-521-6995.
Tenant screening report
- How to pull your report: Call CoreLogic Rental Propert Solutions at 888-333-2413. You can also request the report online at rental.corelogic.com. Contemporary Information Corp. (CIC) is another company that does tenant screening. Request your report at cicreports.com or call 800-288-4757 (Option 5).
Medical specialty report
- How to pull your report: Go to MIB.com or call 866-692-6901. If you haven’t applied for life or health insurance in the last seven years, you won’t have an MIB Consumer File.
Subprime lending report
- How to pull your report: Go to clarityservices.com or call 866-390-3118. You can also get a report from Equifax-owned DataX by going to dataxltd.com or calling 800-295-4790.
Personal property insurance report
Because you want the lowest rate possible, it’s a good idea to fact-check your specialty insurance report before you start searching for insurance. Your personal property insurance report goes back seven years and lists the personal property and auto losses that you’ve filed claims for.
- How to pull your report: Go to lexisnexis.com or call 866-312-8076. You’ll only have a report if you’ve filed a claim within the last seven years.
Check and bank screening report
- How to get your free report: Contact C.L.U.E. (Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange), which collects and reports information on insurance coverage. Go to lexisnexis.com, which is affiliated with C.L.U.E., or call 866-312-8076. If you have not filed a claim against your auto or property insurance policy in the last 7 years, you will likely receive a clear report. You can also get a report and request a security freeze from ChexSystems.