If you have been considering a replacement vehicle, the opportunity for new car buying is wonderful right now.
Here are some pointers to keep in mind when you’re getting ready to buy:
– Pre-qualify for money at a credit union, an online bank or (lastly) a traditional bank. The benefit to pre-qualifying is that you get a lower interest rate and a realistic idea of your purchase price point and monthly payment.
– Never finance your car through the dealership (as 80 percent of people do) and never finance it for longer than 42 months. If you can’t afford the new car you want in 42 months, consider buying a used model.
– Look through Consumer Reports‘ annual April auto issue and stick to their recommended vehicle picks.
– Shop online and reach a deal online — not in the dealership. Visit CarsDirect.com and Overstock.com to get an instant price quote for the car you want with the equipment and color you want. Overstock.com sends you to a local dealer who will honor the quote. CarsDirect.com will sell you the car themselves. With Overstock.com, you also have the option to have the car delivered right to you without ever setting foot in a dealership.
– Warehouse clubs also have car-buying programs with set prices. These are all great “no games, no gimmicks” options for car buying.