It’s become a familiar routine that we’ve now seen play out all too often: A once-stellar mall retailer falls on its sword and announces a flurry of store closures.
We watched it happen to Sears and Macy’s, to name just two, and now its happening to JCPenney.
The latter says it will shutter 140 of its stores and two distribution centers in the coming months.
JCPenney hasn’t yet revealed which stores it’s going to close, though an official announcement is expected within days.
But Morningstar Credit Ratings thinks it already knows…
These 39 JCPenney locations have a bull’s-eye on their backs
Morningstar says it has identified 39 JCPenney locations that ‘either require a significant capital investment or have below-average sales.’
Speaking of sales, all the stores on this list have fallen below JCPenney’s average sales of $120 per square foot in 2015 — the most recent year for which data is available.
If you’re keeping tally, Pennsylvania has six locations likely to close which is by far the highest. The Keystone State is followed by California, which comes in second with three locations that are expected to close.
Here’s the complete Morningstar list of troubled locations:
- Pinnacle Hills Promenade — Rogers, AR
- El Con Center — Tucson, AZ
- Mt. Shasta Mall — Redding, CA
- Plaza West Covina — West Covina, CA
- Westminster Mall — Westminster, CA
- Westfield Trumbull — Trumbull, CT
- Southland Mall — Cutler Bay, FL
- Tifton Plaza — Tifton, GA
- North Riverside Park Mall — North Riverside, IL
- Yorktown Center — Lombard, IL
- Glenbrook Square Mall — Fort Wayne, IN
- Muncie Mall — Muncie, IN
- West Ridge Mall — Topeka, KS
- Country Club Mall — LaVale, MD
- Westfield Wheaton — Wheaton, MD
- The Maine Mall — South Portland, ME
- Southdale Center — Edina, MN
- Crossroads Center — Saint Cloud, MN
- Mall at Barnes Crossing — Tupelo, MS
- Windsor Square — Matthews, NC
- Greenville Mall — Greenville, NC
- The Mall of New Hampshire — Manchester, NH
- Quaker Bridge Mall — Lawrenceville, NJ
- Destiny USA — Syracuse, NY
- Palisades Center — West Nyack, NY
- Great Northern Mall — North Olmsted, OH
- Northtowne Mall — Defiance, OH
- Penn Square Mall — Oklahoma City, OK
- Park City Center — Lancaster, PA
- Capital City Mall — Camp Hill, PA
- Wyoming Valley Mall — Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Indiana Mall — Indiana, PA
- Montgomery Mall — North Wales, PA
- Oxford Valley Mall — Middletown Township, PA
- Coastal Grand Mall — Myrtle Beach, SC
- Hamilton Place — Chattanooga, TN
- South Plains Mall — Lubbock, TX
- Potomac Mills — Woodbridge, VA
- Kitsap Mall — Silverdale, WA
We’ll update this story with a confirmed list of closures as soon as JCPenney makes them available.