If you had a financial emergency, could you come up with $1,000 in a hurry? According to a GoBankingRates.com survey conducted last year, 69% of Americans have less than a grand in a savings account.
Use this fun and flexible chart to save $1,000
To help you reach that initial $1,000 mark, or save more money if you’re already there, check out this chart:
Isn’t this awesome? We’ve shared a number of savings charts recently that require specific amounts to be saved every week, but this one is different because it’s flexible and fun!
“I’ve pulled together a variety of amounts of money that add up to $1,000. This chart allows you to pick and choose the best amount of money to line up with the kind of week you’re having,” Jeffers wrote on her website.
The blogger recommends that you print your own copy of the chart (click here) and hang it on the fridge to keep yourself motivated. Just remember to cross off one box every week until you’re done.
Here are 21 ways to help you reach the $1,000 savings goal:
1. Follow these steps to get a promotion or raise at your current job.
2. Pick up a side job working from home (See Clark’s Work From Home Guide: A list of legitimate, work-at-home job opportunities.)
3. Use one or more of these 40 ways to sell your old stuff for cash!
4. Shop around for a better auto insurance rate. I saved $100 after comparing rates from Geico, Progressive, Amica and State Farm.
5. Download these three cash back apps. They’ve helped me earn more than $1,500 so far!
6. Switch to a better bank that won’t charge you fees.
7. Negotiate lower monthly bills with current service providers, including TV, cell phone and internet.
8. Switch to a low-cost cell phone provider. Here are the best cell phone plans and deals for 2017.
9. Drop traditional pay TV in favor of Clark’s TV bundle, which will cut your monthly bill in half!
10. Shop at Aldi to save up to 50% on your grocery bill.
11. Use an app to reduce your prescription drug prices substantially. I cut my costs by 75% on top of those savings!
12. Try completing micro jobs with Amazon’s Mechanical Turk. Here’s how one dad earned $20,000 doing small jobs from home.
13. Use a slow cooker. Here are five ways it can save you thousands of dollars!
14. Insulate your attic. It’s one of four simple ways to cut your home energy costs over time.
15. Know the best day of the week to book a cheap flight.
16. Donate plasma. You can earn up to $400 a month.
17. Shop the clearance rack. Here are 11 money-saving secrets to know about T.J. Maxx & Marshalls and 12 money-saving secrets to know about Ross Dress for Less.
18. Use Amazon’s app to compare prices anywhere you shop!
19. Turn scraps of bar soap into luxurious hand soap or body wash that will last for months! Recipe here.
20. Make restaurant-quality meals at home. How to make a $12 smoothie bowl at home for $3 or less!
21. Create a budget. Here’s a step-by-step guide.