- CyberSettle.com – Online mediation for legal issues
- FreeAdvice.com – Small claims court rules for various states
More Web sites:
- lawhelp.org – legal information on apartments for each state. Legal advice on other topics.
- nolo.com – info on lease agreements, landlord liability, state statutes, etc.
- tenant.net – info for tenants
- landlord.com – info for landlords
Remodeling and repairs:
- American Homeowner’s Foundation – 703-536-7776
Home improvements, contracts. For more info, write to: “Sample Remodeling Contracts”
6776 Littlefalls Rd., Arlington, VA 22213
1st copy – $7.95 + $2 shipping/handling
- American Society of Home Inspectors-ASHI – 800-743-ASHI
- National Association of Remodeling Industry
- American Institute of Architects – 404-222-9920
AIA contracts, remodeling contracts available.
- Utilities Protection Center – 800-282-7411
Call before you dig!
They will come out usually within 3 days (excluding weekends) and flag any lines you have buried in your yard. There is no charge for this service.
- Consumer Plumbing Recovery Center – 800-876-4698
Conditions under which homeowners may qualify for costs or reimbursement for blue polybutylene pipe leaks are variable. Call for complete information.
To report polybutylene plumbing claims between Jan. 1, 1978 and July 31, 1995 – 800-356-3496
If purchased after August, 21, 1995 – 800-392-7591
- Hot Water Heater/Dip Tube Hotline -800-329-0561
Have manufacturer name and serial number.
- PB plumbing systems – 800-490-6997
Spencer Class Facility
P.O. Box 81448
Atlanta, GA 30366
Heat / Ventilation / Air conditioning:
- www.nadca.com – duct cleaning info
- ABTCO (LP product) For claims, call the above numbers. For product information, call (800) 648-6893.
-If LP siding is utility grade (callboard or B-grade), it is not included in class action suit because it was sold without an express warranty. Utility grade is not recommended Louisiana-Pacific, which has pulled its siding off the market in Georgia and Florida. First time callers inquiring about the class action suit -800-245-2722.
- Masonite Claims
-For omniwood and woodruff shingles, call (800) 256-6990 or check the above Web site
-For class action info and claims administration, call (800) 330-2722
- Celotex (info only) – 800-235-6839
- Boise Cascade (info only) – 208-384-6162
- Exterior Insulation & Finish System-EIFS – 800-494-3437
-For fake stucco problems
- Call your local Governor’s Office of Consumer Affairs (GOCA)
-Call to find out about cases or to file a complaint. So far, GOCA has determined this to be not so much a product as an installation problem. Brochures are being developed to address the testing procedures and repair.
- Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency
- Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC)
800-835-4624 – Hotline for referral to certified carpet cleaning firms; will assist with questions on stain removal
- Carpet & Rug Institute (CRI – 800-882-8846
Consumer info line – general information on cleaning, purchasing, and installation
- What to look for with carpeting:
1. Most important is the written installation – 5 year or lifetime warranty on installation is best. Be sure installer is using industry standard CRI 105
2. Padding should be rebonded 7/16″
3. Pick what you like based on looks. Write down carpet name and style, get sample at purchase time. When carpet is delivered check it against the model/style of sample before it is installed – be sure you are getting what you bought.
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission -800-638-CPSC
- American Movers Dispute Settlement Program 703-683-7410
Arbitration with interstate movers
- General rules for moves from one state to another:
1) Get a binding estimate (not the non binding).
2) Buy full value coverage, not limited liability. Don’t bother with ‘added valuation’ coverage because it allow for depreciating your possessions.
3) Contact the American Movers Association at the above address within 60 days if you are not satisfied with your mover.
- American Moving & Storage Association – 703-683-7410
1611 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
You only have 60 days after move to request in writing for this organization to assist with arbitration with an interstate mover.
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration -888-368-7238
Report any problems or dissatisfaction with interstate moves
Investigating a potential neighborhood:
- EnviroMapper – search info on air releases, drinking water, toxic releases, hazardous wastes and more by zip code
- CrimeReports.com – monitor crime stats online by zip code
- www.homefair.com – cost of living and school info
- www.homegain.com – home prices, cost of living
- Florida Bureau of Timeshares – 850-487-1395
Bureau regulates timeshares, land sales, exchange & resale companies.
Timeshare rules to remember:
1) Timeshares are worthless and cannot be resold.
2) Don’t attend timeshare presentations because you might be tempted to make a huge mistake and buy.
3) Prizes that are promised are usually overblown and of little value.
4) The best way to sell a timeshare is to use the timeshare and while you are there put the timeshare up for sale. When you do sell the timeshare, don’t expect to get what you paid for the property.